Can this be mineral/vitamin deficiency?

beatrice00
on 2/9/12 6:05 am - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
I have been having lower leg cramps on and off for about two weeks. Yesterday I felt dizzy like fainting, my arms and legs went numb, my fingers clenched by themselves super tight and I was unable to move them to release the tightness, then I fainted. The hospital said it was dehydration and released me. My doctor took a lot of blood and I am awaiting the lab results. Does anyone recognize these symptoms as a possible minerals/vitamins deficiency? I would appreciate any input.

JamieL846
on 2/9/12 6:54 am - MI
I get something similar when my potassium is low....even before surgery....try adding a potassium supplement, but do let your dr know...
Dee.spunk
on 2/9/12 7:32 am - Sacramento, CA
Sounds like dehydration to me. That's the dame thing that happens to my sister and mom when they don't get enough H2O

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

elle_mae
on 2/9/12 8:36 am
RNY on 02/01/12
I was thinking the same thing. Prior to having surgery, I had a potassium dip as a result of blood pressure treatment...very similar. Fainted, landed in the hospital.
Soon to be mini-me     
rbb825
on 2/9/12 12:21 pm - Suffern, NY
could be potassium, B12, B1, B6 or just dehydration.  Make sure they run labs on all of these because deficiencies in these can be serious.  A potassium deficiency can cause your heart to stop if low enough - eat some bananas in the meantime.  B12 and B1 deficiency can cause nerve damage and cognitive problems and if left long enough can become permanent.

Are you taking a multi 2 times per day? Are you taking B12 either sublingual daily or injections?  How much?  are you taking vitamin B1 daily?  what about calcium or magnesium?  These can also cause leg cramping.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 293 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics