Losing weight before surgery

meggy9
on 2/9/12 8:38 am - MN
RNY on 06/18/12
So I have a little over a month to lose the 10 pounds needed in order to have my surgery on March 16. Even after talking with my nutritionist about it I'm still somewhat uncertain on how to go about doing it. So far I am eating 1350 calories a day and working out for about 45mins 5 days a week. I just started doing this on Tuesday so I'm hoping when I weigh in on Monday I will Have made some progress. What did you guys do to lose your pre-op weight? Any suggestions would be greatly helpful. Thanks :)

HW:266/CW:174/GW:130

stlfocus
on 2/9/12 9:01 am - IA
I was required to do a high protein, low carb diet for one week prior to surgery to shrink the liver.  I had no weight loss requirement, but I did lose 10 lbs. in that one week. 

So my best suggestion is to minimize carbs and up the protein, while keeping up the exercise. 
missygm
on 2/9/12 9:12 am
I had to do a liquid diet for two weeks, protein shakes no food. I was able to lose about 17 pounds. Once you start the protein diet you will lose fast.

good luck on your journey!!

meggy9
on 2/9/12 9:16 am - MN
RNY on 06/18/12
I have been working on keeping my carbs low and making sure I'm getting enough protein. Also doing ok with the fruits and veggies. My surgeon doesn't have his patients do a liquid diet of any sort but I may consider that if I'm not to my goal. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

bowknot
on 2/9/12 9:30 am
Protien drinks for breakfast and lunch with a moderate dinner (low carb). It was my pre-op diet.

Kay

Autumn Jensen
on 2/9/12 9:31 am - Lind, WA
RNY on 03/06/12
Even before i started my pre op diet i drank plenty of water and exercised every other day. my consult weight was 366 and then when i had my first nut app i had dropped down to 345 lbs. i am grateful for that. now that i started my pre diet i had lost another 3 lbs. I will most likely be put onto a no food diet for two weeks prior to surgery to help shrink the liver even more. Well, good luck to you.

elle_mae
on 2/9/12 9:34 am
RNY on 02/01/12
My pre op diet was meat, cheese, eggs, and green veggies. Max of 20 carbs a day. I was amazed at how much weight I lost, and I ate quite a bit.
Soon to be mini-me     
meggy9
on 2/9/12 9:47 am - MN
RNY on 06/18/12
Ok, so it sounds like the key things I should be focusing on are making sure I increase my protien intake, keep my carbs as low as possible and get in all my water. What did you guys do for excerise? what was your intensity level?

elle_mae
on 2/9/12 10:42 am, edited 2/9/12 10:43 am
RNY on 02/01/12
I was amazed by how much weight I lost, because I didn't work out at all. I was running around a lot trying to get my household prepared for my surgery....usually lifting weights gives me a kick with my weight loss though.

I take that back. I did do a few sessions of upper body lifting with 10 lbs weights.
Soon to be mini-me     
happy_baker
on 2/11/12 9:58 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
 Just remember--carbs are not all created equal. 

A serving of baked sweet potato is far more healthy than a scoop of white rice or pasta. 
Most green vegetables have several grams of carbs per servicng, but it's all fiber, which is good.

Your best bet, when it comes to carbs, is to cut out anything that gets stored as glycogen or fat in your liver. Pasta, rice, bread, refined sugar, saturated fats. 

My proteins were usually greek yogurt, eggwhites, and turkey. I also ate a bunch of Healthy Choice frozen dinners because their servings are small and pre-portioned. Made it easy, and with all the water I was drinking, it flushed the excess sodium out. 

For exercise, I started taking a deep water aerobics class. I really like that because, even though I'm a "lightweight", my joints still hurt, and water work is a total whole-body workout that doesn't hurt. In fact, you barely know you're even GETTING a workout until you end up sore the next day. :)  But you get out of it what you put in, so if you choose to do something in the pool, you have to push yourself. Wor****il your muscles won't work anymore. Secretly try to out-do the person next to you. :) 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 382 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 272 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics