HELP PLEASE! I need a NSAID alternative

shellbell75
on 2/13/12 7:42 am
I never realized how much I relied on Ibuprofen. There are time that Tylenol just doesn't cut it and frankly I am worried about becoming addicted to Vicoden.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

poet_kelly
on 2/13/12 7:43 am - OH
I don't know what other alternatives there are.  Unless the pain is caused by something that can be treated so you don't need pain meds anymore.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

KatCooper
on 2/13/12 7:51 am - Collierville, TN
Ultram is a good option.  While it is not a narcotic, it is being treated as a controled substance in most states becuase of its potential for abuse.  I use it for my knee pain.  Depending on your where your pain is located, Voltaren gel is an option.  It is a topical NSAID and with enough absorption it can cause problems (dont take a bath in it) but it has really helped when I dont want to take oral medications.  If you are having pain after exercise, consider ice.

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

flyingwoman
on 2/14/12 11:42 am
 Topical NSAIDs are contraindicated for us... it's not NSAIDs' direct contact with the stomach that causes ulcers. It's any time an NSAID enters the blood stream. 

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
Amy R.
on 2/13/12 8:00 am
Yep Tramadol is a good option for some - doesn't do much for me anymore though.

The only other options I know are STRONG and idk if your doc would prescribe them - prob depends on your issue. They are synthetic narcotics normally used for severe pain (think cancer, or dental surgery) but some docs will give them if they know you well enough and realize you have no options. The ones I am aware of and have used are Stadol, Fentanyl and Nubain. Fioricet with codeine works well for headaches. (full disclosure: the addiction potential with these is HUGE. you have to know yourself and weigh your options/pain).

It's amazed me since surgery that I used to take up to 10 ibuprofen a DAY for pain and now 9 times out of ten get relief from 2 tylenol. Although I have had serious pain issues that have required much more, as is probably obvious from the fact that I am familiar with the above meds.

I hope you find what works for you soon. =)
littleskie
on 2/13/12 8:30 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
The Fioricet saved me near Halloween. I went to the er with an ocular migraine and mentioned my leg was swollen. I had a panniculectomy about a week prior. Turns out I had blood clots and the migraine was triggered by that. It actually saved my life.

They gave me fioricet and the migraine went adios. It did reaccur in the hospital while I was being treated for the blood clots. I got the fioricet again and sent me home with some. I have four or five in case I get another migraine. I was the migraine queen prior to my RNY. I had about three a week, every week. It was truly debilitating. Now I've only had three since my RNY. So I surely can't complain...lol.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

nkara
on 2/13/12 8:44 am
 I'm right there with ya... the only thing that helped me before was Advil but now never again.  I finally bought Extra Strength Tylenol the other day for my TOM pain and it worked.  

I also didn't realize peptobismal (sp?) had NSAIDS in it.... 
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/13/12 10:13 am - OH
 Pepto Bismol does NOT contain any NSAIDs but contains subsalicylate which is essentially aspirin... Which still poses some risk of atomach irritation but does not have the same systemic issues as NSAIDs.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

nkara
on 2/13/12 11:46 am
On February 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:
 Pepto Bismol does NOT contain any NSAIDs but contains subsalicylate which is essentially aspirin... Which still poses some risk of atomach irritation but does not have the same systemic issues as NSAIDs.

Lora
 I just went by what the pharmacist told me. 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Country_Girl_Annie
on 2/13/12 8:48 am
RNY on 01/30/12
I'm struggling with this issue, too. I knew it going it and that it wasn't going to be fun, but I'm still searching for a good alternative other than narcotics like Vicodin, Oxycodone, and Codeine. They all make me drowsy!

In particular, ibuprofen was my go-to pain reliever for menstrual cramps. I'm getting my first post-op period now and tylenol just isn't cutting it! The only thing that helps at all for my cramps is curling up with a heating pad. Menopause never looked so good.
HW 270  /  SW 256  / CW 212

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 396 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views