Possible bleeding ulcer

dmle_04
on 2/15/12 2:03 am - Fremont, IN
I am almost 5 years out. I have had problems with ulcers since my original surgery. I had a revision in 2007 due to ulcers. I now for two days have had black tarry stools (which I have not had in the past). Also abdominal pain and flank pain. Anyone have any similar symptoms? I lloked the symptoms up online and there are a dozen different diagnosis.
Zombie
on 2/15/12 3:46 am
Yes, that's a bad sign. A sign of internal bleeding. If the stuff coming out is tarry black, its blood and I believe its coming from the upper GI. An endoscopy will confirm where the culprit is. They can usually take care of it by cauterizing it during the endoscopy. Happened to me twice, both times I was hospitalized, second time I almost bled out. I had to have a blood transfusion and was in the hospital for a week. Don't take it lightly, go get it checked out ASAP. If you have to pay the deductible for an ER visit then do it. Best of luck to you.

~Paul~

Judi J.
on 2/15/12 3:50 am - MN
yep, get to an ER now! My Mom ignored black tarry stools until she vomited blood. At the ER they couldn't believe she was still upright she had lost so much blood. I'm sorry you are dealing with this
jstigall
on 2/15/12 4:58 am - Hilliard, OH
If you are having black tarry stools that is blood in your feces get to the hospital!!

rbb825
on 2/15/12 5:26 am - Suffern, NY
you need to get to the ER - black tarry stools is not good, a sign of internal bleeding - could just be another ulcer but you need to be checked out and fast.  So many people think that by getting a revision will stock them from getting ulcers but never found the true reasons for ulcers. There is a condition called Zollingers Ellision Syndrome that causes recurrent ulcers and high levels of acid in your stomach.  You should get a blood test for gastrin as well as an Octreotide Scan.  If your gastrin level is high - the Octreotide scan looks for a gastrinoma - a tumor in either the pancreas, the small intestines and other times can be in the stomach or liver and can be very hard to find.  A very specific test but very expensive and doctors dont' like to do is a secretin stimulation test.  You might want to give this information to you doctor and do some research on Zollingers Ellison Syndrome

good luck and get to the ER

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 518 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 254 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views