new post ops...how much are you walking?

pitablond
on 2/15/12 5:32 am - Harrisburg, PA
Hey guys!  My hubby had his bypass surgery on Monday and just came home today.  I had the band so I know what he is going through with the gas pain.  I was getting him up and moving when I could but the nurse told him today to walk at least three times a day, but no more than every 2 hours.  That doesn't seem like enough to me but I don't want to push him and make him hurt either.  Because he is complaining about the gas pain, I thought I would ask you!  Would a short distance every half hour be too much?

~*Ashley*~ Highest weight: 330ish   Current weight: 198

HouptMom
on 2/15/12 5:47 am - PA
 My surgery (RNY) was just last Tuesday and all the walking I did at home the first few days was around the house, little laps up and down the steps and around the first floor.  Yesterday (5 days out) I walked around a grocery store and felt good.  Today I have walked a couple of short times and it has been enough.  I think it does help with that gas pain.  My dr/nurses at the hospital didn't give me a specific walking schedule they just said a few short times a day.  At my postop appt. today the nurse said not to worry about walking around too much or too far, to remember that I need to recover.  I hope this is helpful and things go well!

HW 267/SW 243/CW 177/ GW160

pitablond
on 2/15/12 6:13 am - Harrisburg, PA
Thank you, that does help!  Congrats and good luck to you!

Sheila2813
on 2/15/12 6:13 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 02/14/12
 I'm still here in the hospital, and I'm walking one or two rounds around the whole floor every hour.,.im going home in a little bit and I plan to contibue to walk 3-5 min on my treadmill every hour. The physical therapy lady me that was fine and I could even do more if I felt like it.
elle_mae
on 2/15/12 7:45 am
RNY on 02/01/12
I was told not to walk more than every 2 hours by my nurse.  I would do it more than 3 imes a day though.
Soon to be mini-me     
Sara L.
on 2/15/12 8:12 am
I was told to get up and moving as often as I felt like it, but the minimum expectations were once every 2 hours for at least 5 minutes.
I felt pretty good after my surgery and was up walking pretty soon after they brought me up to my room.  I walked several more times that day, twice in the night and several times before I was discharged. 
My surgeon released me to any activity when I left the hospital.  His only caution was to stop if it hurt.  So I took that and went with it....
I hope your husband is doing well and feels like getting up and walking frequently.  It will help so much in the long run and help prevent blood clots, pneumonia, and will help get rid of the gas.  
Good luck!!
Sara in Maui

Kenny B.
on 2/15/12 8:17 am - Leland, NC
RNY on 01/30/12
The more he walks,  he will fell better quicker. I wouldn't do it every half hour, But I would move him more than 3 times a day. Got to work that gas out.

Kenny B.
Philippians 4;6-7

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

pitablond
on 2/15/12 9:56 am - Harrisburg, PA
Thanks everyone!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 458 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 408 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 276 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?