Hair Loss question

hstull1013
on 2/19/12 8:06 am - AZ
I know that I read on here all the time regarding hair loss and understand it is just one of the side effects of this surgery but today as I was washing my hair I could not help but worry that with the rapid loss of hair I am having lately, am I going to go bald lol? Well maybe that is being a little too dramatic but really it bums me out how much hair I am losing. I have finally got my hair to grow out to the length I like and it use to be so full and healthy and now its just really thin and dull and I am half tempted to cut it all off. What is even more embarrasing is that I shed my hair like crazy all over the place and people notice For some of you vets out there, how long typically does the hair loss continue?

On a positive note I completed my first 5K today! It was so amazing and so much easier than I ever imagined. I feel like I could have gone 3X the distance and still be okay. Amazing what losing almost 100lbs will change your endurance. Can't wait to do another one!!

HW-361, SW 349, CW 299, GW 185  *20 lbs lost pre-op diet*
dawney
on 2/19/12 8:19 am
I'm 6 months out on 02/24, and according to my nutrition says at 5 to 6 months the hair that was growing when your diet changed so drastically, you will loose that hair.  But on a better note is that my hair is growing back.  Just hang in there and you will see it also. 
Dawn A Boesch    
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/19/12 9:19 am - OH
Although it does vary a bit from one person to another, hair loss generally starts sometime in months 3 or 4 and lasts until about month 9 or 10.

I lost literally half of my hair and HAD to cut it short because the bottom half of it looked so thin and "scraggly" as my mother called it.  You could easilly see light shining through it.  It will grow back, of course, but even with proper protein and vitamins (including biotin), it may grow more slowly than usual. I am 4.5 years out and the hair I lost after my RNY is just now below my ears.  I did also have a second round of unexcplained hair loss almost 2 years ago, and the ahir growing back from that is very short still... so even above my ears I don;t have ALL of my fullness back... but I cannot wait until the bulk of my hair gets back to shoulder length so I can begin growing it longer again!  I miss my long hair.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

iowa_missie74
on 2/19/12 10:38 am - IA
I showered this morning and was so frustrated at the amount of hair that came out during washing and the amount that came out in the brush afterwards, I told my bf I was going to just pull the rest of it out and strangle him with it. He tells me it looks fine but I know how thin it looks now. I know he wants to make me feel good about it, but ugh...I hate losing it. I started using Mane and Tail...just something a few people have suggested to me. Good luck, I soooo feel your pain. My hair is more than half way down my back and I don't want to cut it, but think it is going to have to happen. Gonna have a test done to see about a perm for a fuller look. If my hair wont be strong enough for it, chopping it off is going to be what I do

nancy409
on 2/19/12 7:00 pm - PA
I started losing hair abt month 5.  It stopped falling out around month 9. I am 10 months out and when I had my hair cut last week it actually looked shiny and healthy again.  Keep up your proteins it does help and when I don't get all of my protein in I still see a couple of hairs coming out when I wa**** and know to up my proteins.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics