OT (kinda) Loss of Dear Friend

Amy Smith
on 2/22/12 11:26 pm
Yesterday, I put my Bayberry to sleep.  It was very sudden and unexpected as she was fine when I left in the morning.  For those of you who attended the OH even in NY, you may have met my sweet girl as she was my "Sandy." 

Bayberry has been my one constant for almost 14 years.  She was my graduation gift from college and we moved out of my parent's house into my first house together.  She was with me during my parent's divorce and with me as I moved houses again into my a home on the family farm.  She went through my RNY with me and all of my complications (PICC line, feeding tube, etc.) she was what got me up and going in the morning after a hard night.  She was also the best personal trainer I ever had.  She started going for walks with me the day after surgery and was my pace setter as she had to jog.  She would get so excited to go for our "workouts" that even the thing I dreaded, exercise, became something I wanted to do.  She went through my pastics with me and it was at that point I realized how bonded we really were!  (I still don't know how she got on that loveseat without touching me so she could lay with me.)  

She went to OH with me (my Mom and I don't go anywhere without our older dogs) and then when they said costume contest I knew I had to include my dog!  So many of you came up to me and introduced yourself b/c of my dog and I was "confident" b/c of my baby! I have friends today, b/c they came up to talk to my dog. 

I know that life will go on, but everyone says that once in a lifetime you have a special connection with an animal and I am so fortunate that "my first dog" (my graduation gift from college - we had her Mom and Grandmom) was my special dog.  I know she is in heaven running around and talking to all the kids getting free belly rubs!  Heaven got a wonderful therapy dog and friend.  (The kids at my school are starting to realize that we lost our special dog, as she used to go to school with me sometimes as a therapy dog for several special needs students and all of the kids would stop in to see Bayberry while changing classes.) 

Thanks for allowing me to share!  Thanks for being a part of our journey! 

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 2/22/12 11:31 pm
RNY on 01/10/12
 Oh man, I am so sorry.  Hugs to you (and your mom).

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

jazzycatz
on 2/22/12 11:32 pm - Joppa, MD

I wish you comfort in this time of loss.  Such an incredible bond you 2 shared.  I know it was as difficult for her to leave you behind as it is for you to let her go forward.  No doubt you will be together again. 

Hugs. 

stlfocus
on 2/22/12 11:34 pm - IA
Sorry sorry to hear of your loss! My Sunny is 12 and I know exactly how you felt about Bayberry.

Dee.spunk
on 2/23/12 12:02 am - Sacramento, CA
I'm very sorry for your loss. No words can help you feel better, I know. But maybe my Tinks is showing her around up there.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

KELLY R.
on 2/23/12 12:24 am - PA
RNY on 04/04/12
My family and I have ALWAYS had dogs and have spent thousands of dollars keeping them healthy.  They were and still are huge parts of our lives.  It's never easy to lose a family member and my heart goes out to you (((hugs)))

Peace & Blessings... Kelly                                             

HW 292 / CW 191 / GW 130

mpjones
on 2/23/12 12:55 am
What a beautiful beautiful "baby" you lost-- I am so sorry for your loss. All of our pets are members of our family and losing one of them is like losing a child. Sending a big hug your way.
MichelleNC
on 2/23/12 12:56 am
 I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I just got my kids a beagle puppy it is amazing how the grab a hold of your heart and never let go.

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

april89love
on 2/23/12 12:59 am - NC
So sorry to hear about your Bayberry. Praying for you!

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

oxfordcat
on 2/23/12 1:01 am - NJ
Sorry for your loss.  It is deep and true.  Dogs are members of our family.  My first dog is 5.  Never had one growing up.  She is my other kid.  She is by my side constantly.  I can't imagine a day when she won't be.  

I am sure she is on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge, just waiting for the one day for you to be united. 

Catherine
"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same". Elphaba    
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 334 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?