"How much have you lost"

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 2/26/12 6:29 am
I am continually surprised by people (usually ladies at church or co-workers) that I don't know that well who will come up to me and ask how much I have lost.  I usually say thanks for noticing.  But I really don't want to say,  100 lbs. because I still have 70 to lose.  I am also not that comfortable saying none of your business.  I have avoided answering a few times but it is happening more and more frequently.

Winnie

cindybogge
on 2/26/12 6:35 am
my sister in law in the past year has lost 100 lbs. via weigh****chers.  she got tired of people asking her and made her answer 25 lbs. and a smile every time they'd ask.  Eventually  people got tired of getting the same repetitive answer and they quit asking! 
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 2/26/12 6:47 am
Thanks,  I was thinking of sticking with "over 50" since I would assume that is obvious but a better answer than being non-committal or evasive.

I will be attending functions during the Lenten season where most of the people haven't seen me since surgery so,  we will see what happens.  I have even had men ask me how much I want to lose.  To that I just return a blank stare.  The wife usually intervenes at that point and tells him that it was an inappropriate question.

Winnie

Arieschick33
on 2/26/12 6:58 am - Lusby, MD
RNY on 01/17/12
I'm only 5 weeks out but I am already tired of that question! It's so rude! I know people don't mean to be, but that is a really personal question. It makes me feel like my progress is being graded by them. I think it's something I am going to have to live with though, at least they noticed!!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/12 7:09 am - Boston, MA
 I hate when people ask how much have a lost then follow up with a how much more do you want to lose... like they are adding it up!!!  I don't mind saying I have lost 150 lbs but when they ask how much more I just say I'm almost there... Another annoying question is what size do you want to get to?  I have no idea what size I will be I have never been this thin before!!! People are so rude sometimes, I would never ask someone how much they weigh or what size they are.  How about a simple YOU LOOK GREAT?????
exohexoh
on 2/26/12 7:16 am - West Chester, PA
 to the how much more or what size, i always just say i don't know yet. people seem to be okay with that answer

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

rsassyjackie
on 2/26/12 12:27 pm - MA
 Hi there! Can't help notice u had ur surgery at BI by Dr,Schneider. I too had my GBS done there 2/13/12. I wonder if I could ask u some questions if u don't mind? I promise not to ask how much have u lost or how much more do you want to loose! LOL--Jackie

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/12 10:06 pm - Boston, MA
 LOL ask away, PM me.  Not too many of us from BI on here!
exohexoh
on 2/26/12 7:15 am - West Chester, PA
 i don't mind when people i'm close to ask (like my good friends and my close relatives and stuff). what really bothered me, more than i thought it would, was my dad's side of the family who hasn't seen me in nearly a year said nothing about my loss or looking good or anything at my brother's wedding last week. my mom's family on the other hand, that i see all the time, and my dad's one sister that lives close to my parents make a fuss everytime i see them and it makes me feel uncomfortable but good at the same time.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

poet_kelly
on 2/26/12 7:31 am - OH
I usually just say "a lot!"

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics