Hair loss.... Stoked!

Katie S.
on 2/29/12 4:30 am - OH
Who would be stoked about hair loss?!?!? Me! Not because I'm losing my hair but in the last 2 weeks I'm losing MUCH less than before. I'm almost 6 months out and was super bummed about the rate I was losing my hair. Today in the shower very very little shed... as a matter of fact I think I shed more hair before surgery than what I seen today!!! I'm hoping this is a preview of things to come!

Debbie A.
on 2/29/12 4:43 am - Aurora, OH
That's good, I am just approaching six months and my hair is so thin!!  I hope mine stops falling out soon!

ladybug222
on 2/29/12 6:26 am
Can you please share with us when the hair loss started and how long it lasted. I am freaking out too because I am a little over 3 months out and have lost an incredible amount of hair. I had to cut my hair which is sad since I was trying to grow it out. I am taking biotin and using a hair loss shampoo and conditioner. I was just trying to figure out worst case senario how long I can expect this. Thanks
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/29/12 9:57 am - OH
For most people, the loss starts sometime in month 3 (sometimes not until month 4) and generally lasts 5-6 months.  It varies by individual, though, as does the amount of hair that comes out.  The biotin won't help the amount of hair loss... it just helps promote regrowth.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

DaniHappy2Bhere
on 2/29/12 10:44 am
 Well, knowing that the biotin helps promote regrowth is a really good thing to know.   Storing that in long term memory, lol.  
~Dani 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/1/12 7:52 am - OH
Well, it does for some people.  Some of saw no difference in the rate of regrowth post-op on the biotin from the rate our hair grows at normally.  I am 4.5 years out and the hair that has grown back has just now reached below my ears... not any more growth than my normal pre-op growth rate! 

Be aware that if you regularly take too HIGH a dose of biotin (no, no one can tell you what will be "too high" for you), it can cause growth of excess facial hair (which is permanent!)... so be on the lookout for it!

Lora

Dee.spunk
on 2/29/12 8:32 am - Sacramento, CA
Lol! Well, I'm gladyoure stoked! I'm 3 months out and the hair loss had started, but I'm not worried about it. Its part of the process and I'll take it it, cause I know in the end it'll grow back and I'll be healthier. I went and got a pixie cut! Love it!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/29/12 9:55 am - OH
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but it may just be a temporary lull in the hair loss (and the shedding may resume in a few days).  That happened to me a couple of times before the loss ended permanently.

Lora

NHPOD9
on 2/29/12 10:57 am
 Sigh.  I wasn't going to say anything, but I was on here a few weeks ago, bragging that my hair loss finally seemed to be slowing.  Alas, it was only temporary, and the last two days seemed to have made up for that momentarily lull.  

Lora, I think this might be the first time I've seen someone address that hair loss may slow down, but then pick up again. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/1/12 7:48 am - OH
I am not sure how often it has been discussed here (it seems that most often when the issue of hair loss comes up it is people worrying about it before it even strarts or just as it has started), but I know a number of people in our support group besides me experienced a let-up on the loss only to have the loss pick right back up again to the same level in just a few days or a week.

Lora

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics