Questions - bodily functions, protein, and energy

virvin
on 3/1/12 11:35 am - CO
Hi. I am having a hard time with constipation.  I stopped taking my iron pills and that helped some.  I know I need to keep up with the iron pills, but being constipated has been so painful.  I have even doubled up on my fiber supplements and that hasn't helped.

I am 7 months post-op.  I am still having problems digesting solid proteins.  I can do the protein drinks and protein bars.  However, when I try chicken or turkey...it makes me nauseous.  I've tried beef and that seems to be worse.  I am allergic to all forms of seafood, so that is not an option.  Do you think it is a big problem if I get my protein from liquid only?  I am still never hungry, but can manage to drink those each day.

Last thing...I have been taking my B12 sublingualy.  However, I went to my doctor and advised him that I still have no energy and I'm not sleeping well.  He recommended the B12 injections.  Ok, so I hate needles, but if i helps me stay alert...let's do it.  However, even the once-monthly injections AND the B12 supplements...I am still very low on energy. 

Any and all advice is appreciated.  Thanks!

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

poet_kelly
on 3/1/12 11:40 am - OH
Did your labs show you were low on B12?  If not, then adding the injections wouldn't make a difference.  Maybe the low energy is related to low iron if you stopped taking your iron?  Or maybe it's something else.  Have you had labs done lately?  I'm thinking you should have had them done about a month ago.

Are you getting enough protein?  I personally see no problem with getting most of your protein from protein drinks, but at some point I imagine you'll start getting hungry and solid food is more filling.  I understand you can't tolerate meat well, but what about other foods with protein?  Cheese, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, tofu, veggie burgers?

Finally, what kind of iron were you taking?  Ferrous sulfate very commonly causes constipation, and ferrous gluconate and ferrous fumerate often do.  Carbonyl hardly ever does, though.  So changing the type of iron you take might help.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

virvin
on 3/1/12 11:56 am - CO
Thanks, Kelly.  I appreciate your help.  I just had them done at the beginning of the year and everything was okay. 

I keep forgetting about cheese.  I love cheese and it sits fine in my stomach.  I used to love eggs, but they make me nauseous now.  Wil try them again next month.

Thanks for the info on the iron...as soon as I get home, I will look and see what mine is. 

Hugs,
Vicky

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

poet_kelly
on 3/1/12 12:06 pm - OH
Are you getting enough protein and enough liquids?  Those are both things that can make you tired.

Also, when they did your labs, did they check your thyroid?  They don't usually do that routinely, and there's no need to, they just do it if you have reason to think there might be a problem.  But that is something that can cause lack of energy, and it's easy to check.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

zabber
on 3/1/12 12:36 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
I am taking a B-12 nasal spray once a week, I can tell when I am tired, so try that...nascobal (1 time weekly) in the nose...
JasminaL5
on 3/1/12 1:28 pm - Wurtsboro, NY
RNY on 03/12/12
My surgeon told me to have Milk of Magnesia on hand for constipation. It works anywhere from 1-5 hours I believe. Good luck!
Autumn Jensen
on 3/1/12 3:14 pm - Lind, WA
RNY on 03/06/12
I'M PRE OP AND HAVE CONSTIPATION. WAS TOLD TO TRY PRUNE JUICE. DID THIS MORNING AND HOWDY, IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM! SO, WHEN WE WENT TO TOWN, WE BOUGHT ENOUGH FOR AWHILE.

lanagirl
on 3/1/12 9:23 pm

What is your calorie level? And carbs? I have found that the biggest sap on my energy is when I don't get enough calories and when I do really low carb. If I eat less than 50 carbs a day, I just don't feel right. I get my carbs through dairy, beans, and a few whole grains.

Michele816
on 3/2/12 2:57 am
For the constipation, I take Miralax every day.  It works like a charm and I don't get diarrhea.

As far as protein, is the meat moist and juicy?  Dry protein is evil!!!!!! Have you tried ground meats-turkey, chicken beef?  They tend to moist and are not nearly as dense.  Put in a chili, lowfat gravy or cream soup, tomato sauce etc... they should go down much easier.  Cheese and refried beans are good choices too.  As for eggs, try heating some good chicken broth, beat an egg or two with some grated parmigianno reggiano cheese and stream it into the broth.  It will form thin ribbons and goes down so easy.  This was one of my first food when I was a new post-op.  

I hope that helps.

Susan M.
on 3/2/12 7:50 am - Howell, MI
Are you taking a stool softner? That really made a difference for me. Good luck

Age 56 Height 4' 11" 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 565 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 343 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views