OMG!! Was this dumping? Need some advice

hope2beskinnyB
on 3/2/12 11:07 pm - NC
Last night, I took some Nyquil liquid for the first time to help me sleep.  I have never dumped before, and I am one of those that can have an occasional sweet with no problem.  I had just had a light snack of graham cracker with some Nutella on it for something sweet (again, never had a problem before).  I took the Nyquil and went to sleep.  About 2 hours later, I woke up and thought I was dying!!  It would come in waves, and I would feel better and then it would come again.  Nausea (heaving, no vomit because I had nothing in my tummy), chills, shaking, heart beating fast, pain...It lasted about an hour before I went back to sleep.  I have never experienced anything like that in my life!  Question, was that dumping, and has anyone else experienced that with Nyquil liquid?  I am afraid to eat anything now because I am afraid it will happen again...need advice..
Queen Koosa
on 3/2/12 11:14 pm
When I feel "dumping" coming on, I start to feel shaky and hot.  I immediately eat peanut butter crackers, this really helps to level me out.

Does the Nyquil have sugar in it?
DON'T DREAM YOUR LIFE.
 LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Barb H.
on 3/3/12 12:14 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
Your symptoms sound like low blood sugar to me, especially if it is resolved be eating something. Have you had a fasting glucose test done recently? Might be something to think about.
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

poet_kelly
on 3/3/12 3:51 am - OH
Yeah, that does sound like low blood sugar, not dumping.  Eating would not normally help if you're dumping and really, I'd be surprised if you were able to get food down if you were dumping.  And eating more sugar when you were dumping would only make it worse.  But the sugar and carbs and protein in peanut butter crackers would be just the thing to fix low blood sugar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AnneGG
on 3/2/12 11:53 pm
Sounds like dumping, but I've never gotten it from Nyquil. Nyquil does have high fructose corn syrup in it, so maybe in combination with the Nutella you have the culprit.

Dumping is no fun, is it?

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

poet_kelly
on 3/3/12 3:49 am - OH
Sounds like dumping.  Nutella has a lot of sugar, doesn't it?  The sugar in the Nyquil on top of that might have been too much.

You don't really need to be afraid to eat.  If you stick to things low in sugar, it shouldn't happen again.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BugdocMom
on 3/3/12 3:52 am - CA
Yep, sounds just like dumping! You can understand now why folks avoid it so much, huh? Nyquil is notorious for causing dumping. The active ingredients are suspended in a sucrose solution. Add nutella to that and you were DOOMED! You MAY want to try it again without the nutella or even try the capsules instead. Or you may want to treat your symptoms separately with pills...
Stacy4442
on 3/3/12 9:00 am
It does sound like dumping.  I am suprised that it happened so long after eating and taking the Nyquil, though.  When I dump it is usually within about 30 minutes of eating something that I shouldn't.  And yes, you feel like you are going to die.  It sucks!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 383 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 14 replies · 66 views
Recent Topics