Why did you choose RNY over any other WLS surgery option?

whatthehair
on 3/4/12 10:53 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 First of all, I am so thankful I've found this beautiful community of people! And I am FINALLY ready to do this for myself, even though I'm just getting started in this journey, I'm still stuck between which surgery is best for me. I've just bought the book Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies.....and I'm stuck between VSG and RNY, but leaning more towards RNY. So I guess I'm just hoping anyone else who's been through this can give me an idea why they personally chose it for them. What parts of the RNY did you find beneficial, and why did that out weight the VSG??? Thank you so much!

If you really knew me, you'd see my heart is honest and pure, your painful words will push me forward on my journey and NOT knock me down! I will succeed this time, for I have the support of a 50 story building, and the love to last a thousand lifetimes! It's time for me to LOVE ME!

wufpackerfan
on 3/4/12 11:00 am - Garner, NC
My insurance would pay for either Lap Band or RNY.  In reviewing over the 2 procedures...I just picked RNY because I thought that was a better fit for me.  My insurance didn't cover VSG.  A few other people I know also had RNY before me and they seemed to do great so that helped push me in the RNY ballpark.  Wish I had a better answer--but due to insurance covering WLS--I had to pick a procedure that was covered.

Best Luck to you!

"Nothing tastes as GOOD and being HEALTHY FEELS!" 

RNY (3/11)   Age: 45  Height: 5'5"  &  NO plastic surgical procedures                                                      Starting weight: 270  Lowest weight: 132  Goal weight: 135  Current weight: 138.8 

whatthehair
on 3/4/12 11:04 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Thank you so much!!! I had contacted my ins, they told me that they cover 100% for WLS, but without a procedure or diagnosis code, they couldn't tell me exactly which options were covered, and which were not. Good luck to you!!!
glzgowlass
on 3/4/12 11:00 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
 I went with RNY.  Lapband seemed like it had too many issues and insurance only covered those two.  

I'm fitter and healthier than I've felt in a long time.  I'd like the weight to have come off quicker, but I'm still much better off than if Ihadn't had the surgery.  I've stalled out at the 5 month mark and the loss slowed for me at the 3 month mark, but for others it's different.

I've had no complications or other issues and I'm looking forward to breaking out the stall and watching the pounds start to disappear again.

PS  There is also another surgery called DS.  It can be difficult to get insurance to approve it but many people are so passionate about it's sucess (long term) that they paid out of pocket.  I wasn't willing to do that, but if you think it could be an option for you, you should check it out as well.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

poet_kelly
on 3/4/12 11:03 am - OH
Well, my insurance would not cover VSG, I would not want DS since no local docs do it and it has a higher risk of nutritional deficiencies, I would not get the band if you paid me since it has such a high rate of complications requiring a second surgery and such a low success rate - and that left RNY.  Which I felt would meet my needs.  And it did, very well. I lost 148 pounds, gained a little back, but am currently a couple pounds below my goal weight so it's all good.

What I have found beneficial is that I get full on a small amount of food, about one cup or so.  I did like the rapid weight loss in the beginning.  I also get sick if I eat too much sugar, which I personally am glad about because it keeps me from eating it.  (Not everyone with RNY gets dumping syndrome though, most actually do not).

What I don't like about RNY is that fact that I can't take NSAIDS (which I really, really miss due to a back problem I have now) and the risk of nutritional deficiencies (not as great as with DS but still really common, requiring me to take a lot of vitamins every day).  I can live with those things and I'm happy I had RNY but I do think I might have liked VSG more.  The only downside I can see to having VSG is that the weight might come off a bit more slowly without the malabsorption, but I'm not sure that would have really mattered much.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ShebasMom
on 3/4/12 11:05 am
Revision on 07/05/16
I originally wanted the sleeve, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it and I didn't have an extra 30k in my pocket. I also have severe GERD, which is worsen by other wls, but not rny. The only negative for me with rny is that you can't take NSAIDs any more, and Tylenol doesn't help me with pain. The positives are that I no longer take BP and cholesterol meds. My GERD is much better...the head of bed is elevated about 15 degree vs 45 degrees. My ankles are longer swollen and I don't get short winded when I walk uphill to work.
Everyone is different, with what surgery works best for them. I hope you also have posted this question on the sleeve forum. I hope I've helped you make the best decision for you.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Linda-P
on 3/4/12 11:12 am - Farmville, NC
RNY on 01/11/12
I was a diabetic, allergic to latex, and developed several allergies over the years, as in no gold or silver base for the dental crowns.  I was fearful of the lapband for that reason.  My surgeon does the sleeve, but he recommended that the RNY would help with the diabetes quicker, and it has!  Good luck with your decision.

Jennifer M.
on 3/4/12 11:20 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 I chose RNY over sleeve for the following reasons:

1)  I've been diagnosed with severe insulin resistance;  
2)  My favorite foods in the world are lasagne, vanilla malteds, and cinnamon bread (the gooey kind).  I wanted to minimize the chance that I would go back to eating them before the surgery had a chance to work;
3)  My father had severe gastrointestinal issues, and I wanted to minimize my changes of getting them.  It turns out that I was correct to be concerned about this, since my surgeon repaired a very large hiatal hernia;
4)  I understood that RNY was better at minimizing the production of ghrelin post-op, and I understood ghrelin to be a major cause of regain.  Given that the numbers with the sleeve are actually very good, I'm not sure that should be a primary motivation.

If not for these three issues, I would have definitely gone for the sleeve, and avoided malabsorption (and dumping).

nkara
on 3/4/12 11:22 am
 I did have the band placed and had nothing but issues with the damn thing. Long story short I was in pain  for 2 years with it.  I revised to RNY and could not be happier. 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

HouptMom
on 3/4/12 12:30 pm - PA
On March 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM Pacific Time, nkara wrote:
 I did have the band placed and had nothing but issues with the damn thing. Long story short I was in pain  for 2 years with it.  I revised to RNY and could not be happier. 

I went through six months of preop nutrition and WLS classes and learned a lot about the lap band and rny. I chose rny and had it done on Feb. 9th. I am very happy with my choice. I had nasty gerd before and none at all now. The surgeon had told me that reflux increases with lapband. I also did not want to possibly have a revision in the future....and also did not want all the maintanence that a lapband requires. Good Luck to you....I think as you go through the process the right choice will become clear.
Take Care!

HW 267/SW 243/CW 177/ GW160

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 260 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?