FINALLY Doctor Referral!!!

whatthehair
on 3/7/12 4:52 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 You may remember me posting last week "Doctor Not Supportive". If you did not see that post, I will try to sum it up quickly....

I went for my annual exam last Wednesday, told him I'm ready for RNY, he asked what I know, and seemed impressed by my answers, and then told me basically he feels that if you can have the determination for bypass surgery, then you should have it without surgical intervention...all I really heard of that was BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! Then told me to come back and see him in about 3 months after I really think hard about it, and then he would help get me pointed to the right direction..OK...

Sooo, That was last Wednesday, then 2 days later on Friday, I called the office, left a message for him, saying I had already been to a weightloss surgery seminar, and have researched it for the last 3 years, and I am ready. I DO NOT want to wait for 3 months more to just get my referral, I am ready NOW, and if he is not willing to help me move forward with this now, then I will find a new PCP that will.

Today, 5 days after leaving that message, I was thinking how I hadn't heard anything back yet, so I called the office, being a NAG I'm sure, and asked why I hadn't heard back from anyone regarding this yet, so she checked my chart and said nobody called me back because he had send in a referral request on Friday ( the day I called) and I should be getting a call from a doctor within a week or so with a date and time of my appt. I was like ummmm OK! Super excited about that!! But honestly I was a bit irritated that NOBODY called me to let me know that was what he did. I mean, most of us are waiting anxiously to get started with this, and I was really thinking hard about it all weekend, thinking to myself, why is he not calling me back? Is my doctor ignoring my requests??? Over thinking it obviously!!

Anyway, I'M SO EXCITED!! But I also have no idea what to expect at this first appointment.. Does anyone have any suggestions on what things to ask at a first appointment? I am considering having RNY or DS.

Thanks all for my rant, and for all of your support!

If you really knew me, you'd see my heart is honest and pure, your painful words will push me forward on my journey and NOT knock me down! I will succeed this time, for I have the support of a 50 story building, and the love to last a thousand lifetimes! It's time for me to LOVE ME!

trishb07
on 3/7/12 5:10 am
RNY on 06/06/12
I'm happy for you!! I had my first appt. on Friday and he ordered blood work and gastric x-ray to be done the 20th, appt.s set up for 3 months with dietician, fitness, and phych, and preop in may for June Surgery!!! I already had my sleep study done. I just asked him what surgery he recommened and what to expect. I was flooded with information. After 1 appt. I feel very confindent that I am making the right decision.
whatthehair
on 3/7/12 5:40 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Wow! Josh! Sounds like your surgeon is not wasting any time, which is wonderful! I'm very happy for you to be having a smooth process so for!! Good luck to you, and keep in touch 
1Haute Diva
on 3/7/12 5:24 am - Fort Stewart, GA
RNY on 03/20/12
I'm so happy for you!! Getting that referral was like a weight lifted off of me... and now that I have approval and a date I honestly can say I'm on cloud nine!

Hope the process is short for you!
- Shaw

whatthehair
on 3/7/12 5:41 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Oh I'm so happy too! When is our surgery date?? Best of luck to you, you will be so much healthier soon !!
Skinnygirlme
on 3/7/12 5:53 am - UT
RNY on 09/05/12
So excited for you! I am only 3 weeks into my 6 week supervised diet. Wish i was as far along as you are in this process! It feels like a lifetime! I guess it almost is! Can't wait to be in your shoes! Good luck! Glad he realized that your voice counts!
  I believe in me...the best is yet to be!                        
(deactivated member)
on 3/7/12 5:59 am
That's awesome... good for you for standing up for how you feel and being perfectly clear to your PCP.  I know lots of us get a bit intimidated by our doctors, but the bottomline is that they WORK FOR US.  If your doctor was going to discount your feeling on the subject even though you would benefit from the procedure, then you had the right to tell him your feelings.

YAY for you and empowerment!  Best of luck on the rest of the journey!

tori
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 283 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 399 views