Back from a long time away

Mal
on 3/7/12 7:42 pm
Hello everyone.  When I was about a year postop I stopped posting because I simply stopped losing weight and was happy at a size 16 (from a very tight 26)---or so I thought!

I recently (probably mostly due to stress) lost another 50 lbs in the last several months an am now in an 8 (possibly a 6 because the 8s are already too big again) and a small/medium sized top.  Being so tall (I'm 6' tall) I wanted to stop losing at a 10 but the weight/inches continue to fall.  I had an appointment with my gastric bypass surgeon this Monday but it had to be cancelled because of a conflicting appointment related to my daughters' upcoming surgery on Monday, 3/12 to remove her brain tumor for the 2nd time at Children's hospital in Boston.  (If you believe in God, and well even if you don't, please say a prayer for my little girl Anna who is 9, one of my triplets).

So at any rate, I know i have to get back to see the surgeon and nutritionist to figure out how to stop losing weight at this point.  I have absolutely  NO appetite to speak of and have to force feed myself, similar to the feeling as a new postop.   In the meantime, can anyone recommend a decent tasting, moderately priced protein supplement?  Its been a long time since I had the shakes but i can say the only thing I remembered was the terrible taste! blech!

LouLou4
on 3/7/12 8:18 pm, edited 3/7/12 8:18 pm
Hi Nicole

I'm so sorry to hear about your little girl and am sending positive vibes your way. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that everything turns out ok in the end

I'm based in England so can't really recommend a specific protein brand but my partner is into body building and he drinks protein shakes daily but choses the 'bulk up' kind?

They tend to have more calories than the lower calorie ones most post-ops drink so this could be a way of getting more calories in per day instead of force feeding yourself food?

I hope you manage to get the weight loss under control. I bet when you started this journey you never thought being underweight would be a problem!

Sending you lots of hugs

dasie
on 3/7/12 8:25 pm
First, let me say you, Anna and your family are in my prayers.  Anna is my name, and it will be easy for me to remember and commit to praying for her.  I'm going to ask the Lord to remind me to pray for your daughter each time I hear my name called.

Second, my oldest niece's son has a brain tumor.  He has had repeated surgery as well.  His doctor is in Providence, RI, and I know how difficult this is on my sister ad her family.

There is little wonder you have begun losing again with all you have been facing.  The only shake I can recommend is EAS AdvanEdge.  I drink the Rich Dark Chocolate, the only flavor I tolerate.  I get it at Walmart, and it is $4.99 or $5.99 - something like that - for 4.

I believe in the power of prayer, and I will pass this request along to others I know.  I pray you and your beautiful daughter feel God's strength, assurance & presence in a powerful way...like never before.  I pray He sends divine appointments your way, and while you are facing this upcoming surgery, there will be people cross your path who will  give you hope and comfort and help make this burden easier to carry.  I pray you will entertain angels unaware.

laura_vermont
on 3/7/12 8:46 pm
Praying for Anna, that her surgery goes perfectly and that she is completely cured. 

We use CHB for our daughter, they are wonderful people & very skilled, Anna is going to get the best treatment available.  The neuro department is 2nd to none.  Try to take comfort in knowing that you've done your best to get her the very best care.  

{{{HUGS}}}
Laura 
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Nycm
on 3/7/12 10:18 pm
RNY on 02/21/12 with
I will pray for you and your little girl. I am fresh out of surgery so I don't have much else to offer

Take care of yourself.

Christine

jkjstars123
on 3/7/12 10:48 pm - Tama, IA
You and your family are also in my thoughts and prayers.

Julie
rhondanewme
on 3/8/12 12:20 am, edited 3/8/12 12:21 am - Grantsboro, NC
So sorry for all you are going through. Much prayer for you and your family, especially your daughter, being sent your way! Body Fortress Protein powder is readily available at Walmart & Target, not expensive, has good protein and isn't bad tasting. It's usually available in vanilla,chocolate, strawberry, and chocolate peanut butter. I prefer the chocolate and the vanilla. Shakes are good with milk or kefir or if you can't do dairy products, add a little SF jello pudding or extracts, etc to flavor it up. Mix in a blender with ice, or use a good shaker cup.

If you need ready to drink shakes while at the hospital or going back & forth, try Atkins or Muscle Milk lite, or even the Slim Fast High protein ones. Protein bars might be a good option for you too. Some are actually pretty good.

I'll be praying that this surgery will completely take care of your daughter's cancer for good and that your weight loss will stop and level out. Also that God gives you all peace of mind and the faith and courage required to get through trials like these! Take good care of yourself so you have the strength to care for you daughter and your family!
  HW- 297      SW- 280      GW- 178       LW-  184      CW- 190

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference...

WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!!!
kellyl1202
on 3/8/12 1:18 am, edited 3/8/12 1:19 am
wow -best of luck to you-wish I had some good advice for you as far as your weight, but all I can offer are prayers. My niece had a brain tumor (medulloblastoma) at 18 months old and it was a very difficult time. Happy to report she is now almost 14 yrs old and doing very very well. Stay hopeful.
Kelly L  
5'ft 1in   RNY 9/12/11
301 HW / 287.7 SW / 216 CW / 150 GW

Debbie A.
on 3/8/12 4:06 am - Aurora, OH

My thoughts and prayers will be with you too and to add to Kelly's post, my nephew also had a brain tumor at two years and operated again around ten years ago and he is now  almost 37 years old and doing very well.

april89love
on 3/8/12 2:05 am - NC
I will be praying for Anna and you. I use the ultramet low carb shakes, they mix easily in a shaker bottle. They are good to carry on the go as they are available in individual packets. I order them online from drugstore.com.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics