Calcium Supplements...HELP!!!!

Darlene M.
on 3/13/12 5:21 pm
I really need help with figuring out what calcium supplement to use.  I have tried several, but my Sr says I need to be taking in 2000 mg at least every day so what I keep finding is that it takes 2 of the chewables to make 500 mg, so I am having to take 4 in the morning and 4 in the evening to get in my 2000......and after I eat them, they take up as much room as a regular meal for me.  I am still a newbie.... 8 1/2 weeks out, but as soon as I get through with that big wad of vitamins, B-12 and calcium, I am nauseated for a good little while and I can't take in any of my protein or water for a couple of hours.  I would appreciate any help y'all can give me...
poet_kelly
on 3/13/12 5:27 pm - OH
First keep in mind that we can only absorb about 500 mg at a time, so right now you're only absorbing about half of what you're taking.  You'll need to take four doses, 500 mg each, at least two hours apart.

Which chewables are you using?  Some are bigger than others.  And in fact, I think both Bariatric Advantage and Celebrate make some chewables that are 500 mg each.

You might also wanna try Upcal D.  I like it a lot.  It's a powder that you can mix in any liquid and it has no taste.  It doesn't make your drink any thicker than it is without the calcium.  So it shouldn't make you feel full.

Now, your B12 should be a sublingual, one that dissolves under your tongue, not one you swallow.  So it should not be making you feel full either.  But if it is, you could switch to B12 injections or the nasal spray.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Darlene M.
on 3/13/12 5:36 pm
Yes, my B-12 is sublingual, so it really doesn't add to the problem, but I am taking 1 Centrum Silver 2 x a day and 4 Citracal with D3 2 x a day.....because it takes 2 to make 500mg.......

I will try to find Bariatric Advantage or Celebrate... do they have D3?  I will do the calcium 4 x a day then rather than 2 x a day......

I didn't realize I was taking in too much at once. 

I have an appt with my dietitian on the 21st and was planning to go over all of this with her then, but it would be nice to already have most of the kinks ironed out before then........

Thank you so much!
poet_kelly
on 3/13/12 9:29 pm - OH
Yeah, the BA and Celebrate calcium have D3.  Just about any calcium citrate supplement has D3.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lorrainecma
on 3/13/12 5:32 pm
 It really is not gonna do you any good to take more than 2 at a time as your body cannot absorb more than 500mg at a time. You also have to be careful which ones you are taking together because certain vitamins act against each other for absorption.  I'm not exactly sure which is which.

I dont take my iron and calcium together for sure. Make sure you do these at least 2 hours apart,. I try to keep most of them a couple hours apart. I will take my D and biotin with my multi, but those are the only ones that I take together. There are others that can tell you better than I, but I hope this does help some

*Also, be sure that you are taking calcium citrate and not the carbonate.

iapples
on 3/13/12 10:01 pm - AZ
RNY on 02/28/12
 My nut has us dissolving tablets in a bottle of water.  She says not to worry about the white powder that settles to the bottom as that is only the binder.

Darlene M.
on 3/13/12 10:33 pm
Thanks y'all!  I have somewhere to start now....
brown_eyed_girl_1981
on 3/14/12 12:53 am
Bariatric Advantage also has calcium losenges, it disolves slowly. I take citracal, right now I'm taking walgreens brand (buy1 get 1 free deal). I've noticed some are much larger than others. I went to the mini's and realized I had to take way more pills each day to get the daily ammount. I'm now on the normal size ones. 
What chewable are you taking? I have never gone the chewable route the ones I've found have calcium carbonate.
♥Pam♥
RNY  8/16/06  Starting weight 262 / Current weight 152
ORIGINAL GOAL 160/ NEW GOAL 140   
undergoingchange
on 3/14/12 1:17 am
Bariatric Advantage and Celebrate have chewable calcium citrate.

rbb825
on 3/14/12 4:33 pm - Suffern, NY
yes, the 2000mg per day is fine but not in 2 doses, it is a waste because you cant' absorb it that way.  You cant' absorb more than 650mg at a time, so if you are taking the 500mg chewables, you need to take them 4 times per day and taking 1000mg  at a time could be a reason for you feeling so nauseous.

You need to take a multi 2 times per day, you calcium 4 times per day, sublingual B12 - minimum of 1000mcg daily, 100mg of vitamin B1 daily (not b complex), Dry D3 - depending on your vitamin D level - minimum of 5,000-10,000 units daily - most need more, iron - carbonyl iron plus vitamin C - 60mg - 120mg per day not within 2-4 hours of your calcium or thyroid medicaiton

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 477 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 441 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 383 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 106 views
Forum Search Error & 404