Ulcer, hospitalization, and weight gain

dmle_04
on 3/16/12 1:41 am - Fremont, IN
It has been a rough road for me since the first of the year. I have another ulcer, which isn't good especially given I have already had a revision due to ulcers. I had to receive 4 units of blood three weeks ago, which got my blood count just high enough to be transported by ambulance to Indy. This was just over a two hour ride. They did an endo and confirmed the ulcer, but that it isn't a bleeding ulcer. So with that being said, they sent me back home after two days of pumping me full of fluids, protonix, and whatever else they gave me. Oh, and told me to get a colonoscopy to look for the possible bleeding culprit. Before being transported I was also in my local hospital for two days, where I received the blood. They too filled me full of fluids and so on. Needless to say, I have gained about 15 pounds. Some was water weight, which has come off. I am almost 5 yrs out and can't allow myself to gain anymore weight. I actually have a goal set to lose atleast 10 of it. I can handle a fluctuating weight gain/loss of 5 lbs here and there. I still physically feel good and I am back to exercising but mentally can't take the number on the scale and my pants being to snug. Any suggestions? I know that taking care of the ulcer and the bleeding issues are of the most importance. Far more than losing 10 pounds to make me feel better mentally. It's weird though. When I had problems with ulcers before, I was losing weight. Then again that was in 2009, when I had my revision and I was still on the path of weight loss. Thank you for your input.
Jenya37
on 3/16/12 1:54 am - Cloquet, MN
I am wondering if you are a smoker.  The nurse that I met with said that if a person smokes they are almost sure to get ulcers.  She had told me that they actually had to reverse a bypass because the person wouldn't quit smoking and kept getting ulcers.  I really don't know much more than that.  I hope things get figured out.
Jennifer

dmle_04
on 3/16/12 4:55 am - Fremont, IN
Thank you for the info. However, I was already aware of the smoking issue. I have never smoked in my life. I promise. Before my revision they even gave me a pic line for 4 weeks trying to get it to heal at home thru IV protonics. I was horrid. It has kind of become second nature to me, dealing with the pain and the amount of discomfort the ulcer can cause. Thank you again. Oh, the smoking thing, that is always the first question out of the doctors mouth. LOL, Non-smoker here Doc!!!!
seattledeb
on 3/16/12 2:51 am
 That sounds like a harrowing adventure.
I will say..please don't worry about this weight gain from the hospital..you were given alot of fluid. That weight will come off.
Give yoursef some healing time.
Take care,
Deb T.

dmle_04
on 3/16/12 5:06 am - Fremont, IN
Thank you for the inspirational words. Very kind of you to take the time to post to my post, lol. Thank you :)
H.A.L.A B.
on 3/16/12 3:49 am
I need to take antacid meds daily. Every time I stopped - I got an ulcer.  I even  get them when I do take the meds. (when I do not take them everyday) 
Are you on daily antacid medication? do you think that would help? Do you still have the remnant stomach? maybe that where the bleeding is?
Good luck finding out what is going on.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

dmle_04
on 3/16/12 5:03 am - Fremont, IN
Yes, stomach meds all day long. I guess I should say pouch meds. I even had a pic line before my revision trying to heal the ulcer. I have a photo album full of endo pics, urrggghh!!!! I only have about half of the remnant stomach left because when my revision was done, I had ulcers in that portion as well. This explained the horrific pain I was in that they could not see during the endo procedure. When the doc from Indy sent me home and said to have a colonoscopy, I told him of this and what was found during my revision and his response was. "Well if the colonoscopy comes back normal you need to go to IU medical center and have a balloon endo done." SERIOUSLY, you are sending me home if I am possibly bleeding from what stomach I have left. Even sent me home with my blood count still below normal, but it was stable for like 18 hours or so. I would like to mention my original doc wasnt available for my endo so I had to see someone in his group. I don't hink I will revisit that doc again. My family doc was irrate that they sent me home. He said, that defeated the entire puropse of transporting you. You need the care from the doctors in indy that specialize in your medical condition. I'm sorry, I'm going on and on. Got me going, lol. I will leave it at that. Maybe with this bit more info, maybe you have more suggestions. Thank you again :)
elenamurray1
on 3/16/12 5:35 am - KY
RNY on 10/14/94
 Sounds like you have already had maybe a partial gastrectomy
elenamurray1
on 3/16/12 5:06 am - KY
RNY on 10/14/94
 I had WLS 17 years ago. Never had ulcers until about 7 years ago. Got them ALL the time. Have had many blood transfusions because of the bleeding. Finally a surgeon knew to look in my remnant stomach and realized it was full of holes! I had to have a gastretomy in October of last year.
dmle_04
on 3/16/12 5:08 am - Fremont, IN
Ok, WOW!!!!!   Thank you for telling me this info. It's become part of my everyday life since one week after my original surgery in 2007. It is so scary. I feel really silly, but I don't know what a gastretomy is? Thank you for replying :)
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 766 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 495 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 273 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 94 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?