How to track calories burned from "exercising" at work?

Jessica A.
on 3/21/12 8:32 am - Auburn, AL
 I would like to count some of my job as calories burned on my tracker for myfitnesspal.  The question is how??  For example, some of the machines I work on have a very fast pace to them.  On Monday I was on a machine that required me to make a box, put a bag in it, grab the parts off the machine (which requires a "hook" to grab them and pull them toward you), pack the parts in the box, tape up the box and place the box on a pallet and make a new box and bag before the next set of parts comes out of the machine.  This whole process for a complete box takes just under two minutes in an 80+ degree environment.  You sweat!!!  I also forgot to mention that the completed box weighs 20 pounds and you are stacking these boxes high enough that you have to lift the 20 pounds over your head part of the time.  I have no idea what I am burning but I think I can definitely count this as exercise.  Any suggestions??
wendydettmer
on 3/21/12 8:34 am - Rochester, NY
 i was told that you shouldn't count your daily routine as exercise, just what you do above and beyond.

but myfitnesspal does ask your activity level during the day, i would just adjust that to closely match what you do.  it does sound likea lot!

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

RonSudol
on 3/21/12 8:34 am - NJ
sweating doesnt mean its exercise, lol...  i walk probably 2 miles a day at work, but i dont count it into my fitnessPal.. Thats how i got fat to begin with, lol...  go above and beyond and get your accrued calories from the gym.. just sayin

---------------(Starting Weight - 365) ------------ (Current Weight - 165) ------------    

Jessica A.
on 3/21/12 8:39 am - Auburn, AL
 So busting my ass at work doesn't count?  Awesome....  I do some serious lifting and walking and all kinds of things at work.  Bummer.  
RonSudol
on 3/21/12 9:34 am - NJ
On March 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM Pacific Time, Jessica W. wrote:
 So busting my ass at work doesn't count?  Awesome....  I do some serious lifting and walking and all kinds of things at work.  Bummer.  
i bust my ass too, but i try not to "count" it , as im afraid to say, but it really doesnt count..

Another way i can say it; in the grand scheme of things, we should train ourselves to be more physical (as far as gym, workout, etc)

---------------(Starting Weight - 365) ------------ (Current Weight - 165) ------------    

Jessica A.
on 3/21/12 9:46 am - Auburn, AL
I find it so difficult sometimes to even fathom the thought of having to work out after I have been pouring sweat at work.  How do you find the motivation?  All I want to do after I get home is put my feet up!
RonSudol
on 3/21/12 9:56 am - NJ
On March 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM Pacific Time, Jessica W. wrote:
I find it so difficult sometimes to even fathom the thought of having to work out after I have been pouring sweat at work.  How do you find the motivation?  All I want to do after I get home is put my feet up!
motivation? hmm, i put myself on a surgery bed in the quest for a better, healthier life.. ill be damned if im not going HARD to attain every last bit of an advantage towards my goals..

besides, i want to look buff and hot.. lol

sure it can be hard to get to the gym after work, but once you get into the groove, it just becomes routine.

wendydettmer
on 3/21/12 8:44 am - Rochester, NY
well it counts in regards that all movement will make you healthier and is good for you. so it's not like it's wasted.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Jessica A.
on 3/21/12 8:53 am - Auburn, AL
 I know.  Thanks.  :)  I am a little sarcastic.  If you could see my work though.  We never do the same thing every day.  We rotate machines every two hours, most of the machines are extremely fast paced and I am not necessarily on a machine all the time either.  Sometimes I assemble medical equipment and the finished product weighs more than 40 pounds and trying to lift those darn things to put in a box over my shoulders is ridiculous.  And i'm 5' 9"!
(deactivated member)
on 3/21/12 8:54 am, edited 3/21/12 8:54 am
You could get a GoWear Fit thingy that tracks actual calories burned (that littel arm monitor that you wear)... if nothing else, it's a good way of tracking baseline and from there, you can ramp it up accordingly.

tori

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?