Question about Liquid diet pre/post op/Protein Shakes

SUSIEQQ62
on 3/29/12 7:05 am - EXETER, PA
Hello my friends.. A new friend who is having the RNY Gastric Bypass asked me a question i am not sure of the answer to as I did not do that.. She wants to know---as she makes her own Protein Shakes and like so add Bananas and Strawberrt and such to them--if it is OK or Not during that 2 week liquis diet before the surgery and also after ??  She has gotten several different answers from different Nutritionists.. One said that it is ok and another says NO and another one says its ok as long as you take the seeds out.. I would like to know how do u de-seed a Strawbery--LOL.. I know just the inside..My guess is that it i sok as long as the fruit is totally pureed--but then what about the seed thing--will the seeds stick in our intestines and should the fruit be de-seeded..Now i just drank Slim Fast before my surgery and some Vitaladys Whey protein--I do not like to add Fruit to my shakes.. Can anyone please tell me if they know this answer for sure--as she really wants to add fruit to her shakes.. I do not want to give her the wrong answer as i do not know.. Plzzzzz Help.
 Thank you everyone and hope u all are meeting your goals..If u need prayer--please feel free to send me a message as I am a Prayer Warrior for Christ.. Hugs and Blessings to you. 

SUSIE SMITH FROM NE PA

Susie Smith from PA    

poet_kelly
on 3/29/12 7:09 am - OH
She should check with her doctor as they all have different recommendations.

I was not supposed to add fruit to shakes on the pre op diet because I was not supposed to be having fruit, pureed in a shake or otherwise.

I was not supposed to add fruit to the shakes on the full liquid diet post op because pureed fruit is not a full liquid.  When I was advanced to pureed foods, I was allowed to have pureed fruit, in a protein shake or not in a shake.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mskris8199
on 3/29/12 7:19 am
RNY on 03/06/12
As Kelly said, the doctor has the final call, but my preop diet was clear liquids plus protein shakes and my post op diet was full liquids.  Neither of them allowed for any pureed food. 

Deseeding a strawberry....that was funny.  Really who says that?  "You can have strawberries without the seeds."  That just strikes me as hilarious!  I almost laughed out loud at work.
HW: 292 lbs.  GW:160 lbs.  Dream Weight: 140 lbs.

nfarris79
on 3/29/12 7:20 am - Germantown, MD
 I wasn't to add fruit in any form to my diet until several months post-op, from a carbs point-of-view. Probably not a good idea. If she can survive protein shakes for 2 weeks without fruit, then best to avoid!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 234 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?