4 week pre op liquid diet

pandabear1988
on 3/30/12 1:00 am
Hello everyone. I am new on this website and I am glad that I found it. :) Here is my little story. I am going to have gastric bypass April 25th. My doctor put me on a liquid diet for 4 weeks. I was wondering if anyone else has had to do the liquid diet that long? I see most of you all are only on it for 2 weeks. I thought it could because of my weight. When I started the whole process I was 400 pounds but now I weigh 375. I just don't understand? Today is my 3rd day on the diet it is getting easier but I am traveling back home to Washington State on the 13th for a week visit and I need to know can you guys give me any advice on what I can bring on the plane so I will not be hungry on my trip? I do not know if they will allow me to bring protein powder on the plane.
jschultes
on 3/30/12 1:05 am - ND
They allow a lot of things on a plane! I think if you were to buy some kind of drink to mix the protein shake into after you go through security you could bring that on the plane with you. I am on the 2 week diet. It isn't all liquid either, but 2 meals of liquid and a very low calorie supper.

pandabear1988
on 3/30/12 1:10 am
Thank you. I am new to traveling so I didn't know. Your lucky that you get a low calorie supper. My doctor is not letting me have it. The only thing that I can eat with a utensil is greek yogurt and sugarfree jello. I just find it weird that she wanted me on the diet for 4 weeks.
1Haute Diva
on 3/30/12 1:27 am - Fort Stewart, GA
RNY on 03/20/12
Every surgeon is different. But you should be able to take prepackaged protein mix on the plane.
- Shaw

pandabear1988
on 3/30/12 1:48 am
Thats what I was going to try but I just did not want to risk it. Thanks to you  I may try it after all. :) I feel kinda stupid for asking that question but usually it is easier to travel when I have more of variety foods that I can choose from. Plus I have not been on a plane for awhile and this is only my 4th time flying. I think the hardest thing about being on the diet for 4 weeks is me trying to find the right soy protein shake. Right now I am drinking EAS and it is nasty. I tried putting a little orange crystal light in the vanilla flavored shake and it makes it a little better.
jschultes
on 3/30/12 2:37 am - ND
They have me on "bariatric advantage" and I agree, it is nasty! I did add some no sugar things to it to make it better like decaf instant coffee. Mine is a powder so I also freeze half of the fluid and put it all in a blender to make a "smoothie" of sorts. Sugar free syrups for coffee help too.
pandabear1988
on 3/30/12 2:48 am
pandabear1988
on 3/30/12 2:54 am, edited 3/30/12 2:55 am
Oops accidently deleted my post. Thanks for the helpful tips. I guess I will go to the store and buy more sugarfree stuff today and see if that will help me get my protein shakes down. I  know that I need protein in my diet but this morning the thought of the shake grossed me out. I had some chicken broth instead.
Reddheadd7
on 3/30/12 5:40 am - CA
sugar free jello pudding!!! i add SF banana cream to vanilla protein mix and SF chocolate pudding to my chocolate. Also, add frozen berries and some sugar free syrup to vanilla protein and yummy!! I've made pumpkin shakes too... add like 1/4 cup canned pumpkin and pumpkin spice with stevia or splenda to vanilla, deli****ons of things you can do to get you though!

good luck!
Dragonfly Dreamer
on 3/30/12 12:00 pm - Canada
I was on it for 4 weeks. I was only allowed to have the shakes and sugar free jello, tea, coffee and black pop. I added some instant coffee to alot of my shakes and blended alot of ice in it. You will do fine on the diet. It is hard, but like everything hard in life you will get through it. My hardest times on the 1 month diet was the first 4 days and the middle of the 3rd week. In the middle of the 3rd week I started telling myself I deserved to eat a fatty meal because I have done so well. I got through it, and im heavier than you. If you need some support msg me
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics