anyone ever have an ulcer and what were symptoms

jenfasano
on 3/29/12 8:06 am - CT
So I have been in massive pain for at least a week now.  To all that have had children I feel like im in labor when it hits.  My stomach and back.  If I lay down and rest the pain goes away.  I have been in the hospital twice and have had EVERY test known to man and they came up with an ulcer. Is this what anyone of you has felt like when you had an ulcer.  I have had it for a while and  when i first found out didnt finish the meds :( I know thats bad!!  serves me right?

Im taking my carafate faithfully but my insurance is giving me a hard time about the prilosec!!  How important is it to take that too??

thanks anyone!!!!
jen
slashes
on 3/29/12 8:41 am
I cannot answer your question, but I am so sure someone will. I just want to say hope u feel better.

Follow My Gastric Bypass Story
This is where I share it all - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

RNY: 01-23-2012 Weight day of Surgery - 286lbs ~ Weight as of 09-13-2013 164lbs

Kelly L.
on 3/29/12 8:52 am, edited 3/28/12 8:53 pm - San Jacinto, CA
I had four ulcers at the same time. My back did not hurt but my guts did! My pouch burned so badly... Like acid being thrown in it. I also had terrible nausea, I couldn't eat or drink. I see my bariatrician on Monday, I'm pretty sure at least one ulcer is back Sooooo back to the carafate I go. Did the ER do an EGD to diagnose the ulcer? By the way, I take 40 mg of NEXIUM twice a day now.

HW 274. CW 129

twobabies06
on 3/29/12 8:53 am
I had one that was diagnosed at 3 weeks out, on a staple.  I wasn't in much pain, which all of the docs and nurses thought was crazy.  I was very sick though, throwing up and dry heaving several times in an hour, even during the night.  I wasn't able to eat or drink anything for over a week.  I was in the hospital for three days and two night on a very fast IV drip with fluids and potassium.  They got 2 bags of IV fluid in me within an hour due to my severe dehydration.  The medications started to help and then I was able to drink a little.  Eventually I was able to eat and drink and have been doing well since this.  Best of luck to you!

rbb825
on 3/29/12 4:34 pm, edited 3/30/12 5:39 am - Suffern, NY
When you found out you had the ulcer, did they do a biopsy to find out if you had HPylori? This is a bacteria that causes ulcers. There are 2 types of ulcers and they require 2 different treatments. If you have HPylori which you have to find out because if you have it and dont treat it with antibiotics, it will never heal and only keep growing an possibly erose - not good. The treatment for that type is a Prevpac which is 2 types of antibiotics and Prevacid for 14 days - there is special dosing htat is 4 times per day - it comes in a special pack.

If it is the HPylori, you take it for the 14 days and then you have to go in for the breathe test to make sure you test negative for HPylori to make sure it is gone - if negative, then you are done, if positve ,then you have to take another round of treatment for 14 more days.. No fun.

If it isn't HPylori then you need to take carafate 4 times per day (1 gram) and then take Prevacid 30mg for 2 weeks - some times 2 times per day. I have heard of people using Nexium but I havent heard of people using prilosec for treating ulcers. You can use it for reflux but I am not sure about ulcers. If you can't get a prescription for prevacid - you can get it over the counter in any pharmacy - you just need to take it in the dose of 30mg per day for 8 weeks and then go back to your gastro doctor to get rescoped to make sure the ulcer is gone. If it is still there, you have to repeat the carafate and the prevacid for another 8 weeks.

and, yes you must take the PPI - you all post ops must take them for atleast 6 months and preferable a year to prevent ulcers. My surgeons has us take them for a year and if any problems then we take them for life. It isnt' worth the problems. If your insurance wont pay for one, they have to pay for another one. Mine wouldnt' pay for nexium, so they pay for protonix and you know what - protonix and so much better - much stronger. So, it was a blessing that they wouldnt cover the nexium. they also sell them over the counter just in lower doses - so if you need to take prevacid - you need to take 30mg. Make sure you are taking one of them for atleat 8 weeks for the ulcer and if you are prone to them and have reflux, you may have to take them for ever

good luck

Carla M.
on 3/30/12 3:24 pm
RNY on 02/21/11 with

I've had an ulcer for over a year now. It just won't heal! I get nausea, burning, my intestines/stomach hurt like crazy sometimes. I get a pain in my chest near my pouch as well.

I take carafate four times a day, nexium twice a day, and a GI ****tail 4 times a day. I'm also on Gabapentin and Ultram for pain along with Levsin to calm my guts down a it. Phenergan for nausea.

My ulcer is pretty bad, but there isn't really anything else to do but treat it. They're keeping an eye on it and just giving me things to help with pain. I have some other problems as well which is why I'm on so much.

Hope you start feeling better soon!!!!!!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 223 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?