PLEASE HELP ME 4 DAYS POST OP !

craig35
on 4/1/12 5:50 am - Canada
RNY on 03/29/12
Hey every one so i went ahead with the RNY just got home today march 31, 2012 after 2 days in the hospital and it went really well better than i thought and i was scared, lol yeah all the way to the table of the operating room lol but one glitch in the being i started having low blood sugar spells at 34 years of age i was told that if i lost the weight i could normalize it and if i needed help i could have the surgery cause if i didn't i was bound to become type 2 diabetic , they called it reactive hypoglycaemia or better know as insulin resistance cause both my grandfather and mother were type 2 diabetics well into there 40's , so my question is i am 4 days post op on liquid diet and i am already having low blood sugar is this normal ? does this happen until you lose some weight ? or until i can incorporate some carbs and protein ? also i was given half cup broth, sugar free jello, half a cup decaffeinated tea and a half a cup of apple juice or cranberry juice i thought they weren't to give sugar they didn't dilute it either , shouldn't i have no sugars at all ? I just called the nurse it's sunday so i have to wit to monday to talk to someone she said just ad  little sugar in my unsweetned apple juice to normalize my blood sugars. i am really scared i might have made a mistake, lol man any one have some encourage thoughts or direction ...
nfarris79
on 4/1/12 5:58 am - Germantown, MD
 My surgeon's plan called for the first 3 days post-op to be a "Juice Party", which is basically clear liquids and 50/50 diluted juices. Then after that, NO JUICES. Not sure what your plan entails but I would concentrate more on protein suppliments - especially ones with low carbs or zero carbs like Isopure - as you need calories & protein to heal up.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

kenhud1
on 4/1/12 6:10 am - Houston, TX
Post op diets vary widely with the surgeon. The best advice again is to follow your doctor's plan. If you are unsure, contact their office. It seems that having just been released you could also call the nurse on the unit in the hospital you just left. In the US they pretty much know your aftercare instructions since they are required to review them with you prior to discharge.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

craig35
on 4/1/12 6:43 am - Canada
RNY on 03/29/12
 yes i did call the nurses station at the hospital were i was discharged in Guelph, ON  they told me to add a little sugar to my unsweeted apple juice and to call my doctors office tomorrow and discuss what i should do with them, i didnt add sugar i was alwys informed that complex carbs and protien stabile sugars much better if i add sugar i will only increase insulin which will lower my blood sugar level back low. has any one expreniced this before right after surgery do you think it will normalize after some weight has been lost ? its hard cause if i was in the solid food eatting phase i could manage it better i believe ...
sweet-tart2012
on 4/1/12 7:06 am - TX
RNY on 02/16/12
Not sure what your doctor suggested for the liquid diet phase.  I could have lf milk, Protein beverages, V-8 Light Splash fruit juice, sf popsicles, country time lemonade (sugar-free), Kool-aid sf, Tang sf, Fuze Slenderize low carb.  I would get very dizzy if I didn't drink real often.  l oz. every ten mins. was my goal when I first came home.     So, are you getting enough liquids in?   My insurance, Humana, has a nurse hotline.  Does your insurance? She might be more helpful than ON.  That way you wouldn't have to wait until Monday.  Best wishes      

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/1/12 7:13 am - Windsor, Canada
Hi there,
You should make a point of coming to the Ontario board on OH too :) 

:)

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

poet_kelly
on 4/1/12 7:09 am - OH
Unfortunately, reactive hypoglycemia is very common after RNY.  They told you RNY would make it better?  I've never heard that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

craig35
on 4/1/12 8:13 am - Canada
RNY on 03/29/12
 what they told me was that i was having reative hypoglycemia problems known as insulin resitance
they told me if i would lose weight it would give me more better insulin responce and possibly control if not reverse my RH symptoms they said to lose weight i could deit and exercise but it would be extremely hard if i had WLS surgery it would tremendously so i did i heard of the RH gearing up its ugly head after 6 or more months but theres nothing with any one like me a day out of sugery and i know i could control it but i cant do it on the liquid deit it will just keep going up in down. i start feeling symptoms around 4.2 i woke in sweat at 8:00 am with blood sugar of 4.0 before surgery i had better control cause i could have peanut butter and complex carbs but now i feel screwed the doctor , dr. reed in guelph said at first he wasn't doing the surgery i asked him why he said because when my fasting insulin it should be around 150 most normal people but mine was 330 so he wanted to find out fron my endo dr. mcmanus if i had like insolomus of the pancreas and she said no it was his eatting habits cause his reaction and wls would be the best option for him have it all written down.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 536 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 273 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics