New here with LOTS of questions!!

mg220
on 4/4/12 5:19 am
RNY on 08/08/12
I have been lurking here for a while and have finally decided to post and say Hi. My name is Meg and currently I am in my 5th month of 6 months of nutritional counceling before I can have the bypass. I am so nervous but am very excited for what the future might hold. I have lots of unanswered questions and hope you kind folks can help me out. Thank you in advance!!

1) If your insurance required nutritional counceling, how long after your last visit with the NUT did you actually have your surgery?

2) How does one take his/her regular medicine in the hospitol if it is a liquids only diet?

3) What brand/type of calcium citrate did you use after surgery? I am looking for something that tastes ok....thinking of Beriatric Advantage...Has anyone tried this brand?

4) What did you do to keep calm before the surgery? I see myself getting quite anxious in the days before surgery.

Thanks!
Meg
Jessica A.
on 4/4/12 7:37 am - Auburn, AL
 Hi Meg!

There are so many variables for everyone based on time, insurance approval, scheduling between you and your surgeon, etc, etc.  Mine was almost four months after my 6 month supervised diet because I had to reschedule my psych evaluation and I had to see the psych once for my MMPI testing and then a second appt to get my approval.

There are medications that can come in liquid form or can be crushed.  I had to have mine crushed and mixed with a tablespoon of unsweetened applesauce.  It was pretty bitter but much easier than trying to do it just crushed with water.  

I tried Bariatric Advantage calcium citrate and hated it.  I found a chewable calcium citrate in berry flavor at GNC that doesn't taste chalky that I like but who knows, maybe you will like BA's.  Our tastes are all different.

I tried to keep busy to take my mind off of my upcoming surgery.  

Good luck Meg!!  Welcome to the boards and good luck on your upcoming surgery!!  

Jessy
WhoIWantToBe *.
on 4/4/12 7:45 am, edited 4/4/12 7:46 am
RNY on 01/10/12
1. It took about 2 months after all my approvals were in because there was a snafu with my paperwork.

2. I didn't take my regular meds in the hospital.  And when I got home I had to get everything chewable or cru****  I would put the crushed meds onto a thin layer of jello on a spoon and then put another thin layer of jello on top of that, and then slide it all down.  I'd have to do it several times to get them all down. 

3.  I found a chewable calcium citrate on Amazon, which I used for the first few weeks.  Then I switched to the store brand of Citrical Petites from Target.

4.  I didn't stay calm.  I was quite anxious.  

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

mirlyn2012
on 4/4/12 7:54 am - FL
RNY on 02/20/12
Welcome!
1. Can't answer, wasn't required

2. All meds in the hospital were crushed by the nurses and mixed in in a tbsp of crystal light or given by injection.

3. I tried some chewable tablets from vitamin Shoppe and hatred them. Love bariatric advantage in lemon. Just got caramel in the mail today to get variety.

I can't see #4 if there is one on my phone hehe.
      .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.Miranda.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.      
dori M.
on 4/4/12 9:04 am - MD
 Hi and Welcome!

After I completed the 6mth nutrition program it took 1 week before my surgery was scheduled. The actual surgery wasn't for another 4 wks because of my surgeon's schedule. I wasn't on any medicine prior to surgery. I use bariatric advantage calcium, I like it. Prior to surgery I was too busy being hungry to be worried. The day before surgery I went to church and prayed about it and talked to one of the minister's at my church.

Cindi J.
on 4/4/12 9:47 am - Tyler, TX
RNY on 04/09/12
 If you go to the Bariatric Advantage and Celebrate Vitamin websites you can order sample packs of their vitamins and calcium, so that you can try several varieties before buying a full package of anything.  That way you can find out what you like without going through full packages of product.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 249 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 399 views
Recent Topics