Need some advice "ulcer"

sweetgirlt26
on 4/10/12 3:28 am
RNY on 01/04/12 with
 Hey so I found out I have a ulcer near the stitching of my new pouch and have been having some pain on my left side near the last few ribs...well this past week I went to Canada an on the way back I had such bad pain that I started to cry an was curled in a ball....can an ulcer worsen? I've been taking nexium an caraffate every day. Has anyone else experienced this? 
Can't wait for my new life to finally begin 

Patti1md
on 4/10/12 3:53 am
I am so sorry for your pain and do not know much about ulcers.  But, I would love to know what can cause an ulcer for weight lost patients?

franjellica
on 4/10/12 3:54 am - PA
i acually woke up out of my sleep in really bad pain and had to go to the hospital and found out that I had a ulcer around the same area you are talking about that put a hole in my pouch and leak fluids .. you should call the doctor right away and get it checked.. i wouldnt mess around with that  I had severe pain below my ribs and then it shot up to my left shoulder also.. I had to have surgery to patch it back up and I was fine.. after that.. but I which i new the signs to look for before it all happen..   It is because of the lengh of the  conection leaving the bottom of your pouch is much smaller and acid builds up faster or something..
 Call your surgeons office or Dr and get checked.  Hope all is well!

Fran

HW 300  SW 287  CW 186 Surgery Date May 5,2011          

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/10/12 3:57 am
yes it can. You may need to call the doc.  When my pains were the worst - I had to make sure i take a lot of carafate. Before every meal. And I had to follow a very mild - ulcer friendly diet. If I di dnot - it got worse (i.e no acidic foods or drinks, mushy - soft foods, and not too much of that - too much of food may startech the pouch - and that may hurt...
Aslo I had to make sure I take enough of the carafate.. (I ate 6 times a day - so I took it 6 times aday to protect the ulcer. ) Skipping a dose or not taking enough antacid - the pain reminded me what I did wrong.
Not nuts no food hard to digest- or even raw foods.  That were "my rules".  Developed my process when i got ulcers...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kelly L.
on 4/10/12 8:24 am - San Jacinto, CA
 I'm very sorry to hear this. I had four ulcers at the same time.. there wasn't a place in my pouch that wasn't inflammed. I have had them come back again this month. It sucks! I take 40mg of Nexium twice a day and I am also back on the carafate 6 times a day. I am VERRRRRY careful about what I put in my gut so it's sort of frustrating to keep getting these buggers! 
Yes, ulcers can start to bleed ( I did that in December, don't reccommend it).. so pay close attention to how you are feeling. If you have significant pain, can't eat or drink and find your BM's are getting VERY dark (black, tarry) call your surgeon or go to the ER. 
Try to keep your diet as bland as possible, theoretically after two weeks on carafate you should be good to go again, but I am still very aware of my picky pouch so I would just be careful. Good luck to you, I hope you feel better soon!

HW 274. CW 129

Carol M.
on 4/10/12 8:29 am - TX
 If you are having that much pain, you need to call your surgeon ASAP.  Ulcers don't usually get better on their own.  They just get worse.  You are 3 months out. Don't know what you have been eating, but you may want to go back to the beginning and do liquids for a couple of days. It is not uncommon for RNY patients to get ulcers especially around the stoma and suture area.  I think it is caused when the stages are not carefully followed before healing is total and complete. It is possible for tiny bits of food to get into areas where is it just sits and can cause a baterial type infection and set up the conditions for an ulcer to start.
Just be safe and get it checked out.
Carol , East Texas
sweetgirlt26
on 4/10/12 10:55 pm
RNY on 01/04/12 with
Thanks everyone
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 305 views
What's on your Monday Menu?