Seriously! How do you stay at 1200 calories?

Lisa R.
on 4/10/12 4:59 am - CA
 I am almost a year out, I don't count calories, but I am trying to take off my last 2 lbs so I started to track.

I eat alot more then I thought.  Sometimes up to 1600 calories a day.  So I thought 1200 would be good, but that is like nothing

So, really, those of you who are about a year or more out.....

How do you stay in a range of 1200 calories a day?  Should I cut my portions in half?  I eat 6 or more times a day, small meals.  I don't totally avoid carbs, but I limit them.

Ideas would help.

Thanks

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
seattledeb
on 4/10/12 5:02 am
 Isn't tracking food interesting?
Does your doctor recommend 1200 calories?
I would try to increase your exercise. That works for me and I don't feel food deprived.
Deb T.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/10/12 5:08 am
Small meals, meals 250 cal - snacks 100-150 cal. Can be done. It is not easy. But doable. BTW: do not count calories from fiber - they are counted as carbs - but in reality - we cant digest them so they shoudl not count. Fiber=volume, makes you full

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

KittenLove
on 4/10/12 5:14 am - Around Knoxville, TN
I haven't done 1200 in a long time. When i went for my three year followup, my nutritionist asked me if i wanted to lose the 4 lbs i gained since the year prior and I told her no. She gave me guidelines should I choose to do so adn then said, "don't do anything crazy like 1200 calories." Of course, i am very active as well.

Operation 10 lbs is going great and I refuse to do 1200 calories.

Be happy. 

on 4/10/12 5:15 am - OR
 I am only 9 1/2 months out but I think for me, planning ahead is the way I stay under 1000 (1200 on 2x workout days)  I have a half protein shake still because they are low cal and keep me full a while. I found my WORST snacking time is from 3-6, so I just started making sure I was super busy in that time and having lots of veggies READY so if I am home and have already had my snack, I know cucumbers arent going to put me over my cal goal so much that a few jumping jacks won't fix it :)

nfarris79
on 4/10/12 5:19 am - Germantown, MD
 I count all calories (even in my sugar free metamucil!) and average around 1300 - I keep my carbs really low still, between 30-50g and focus primarily on protein. When my calorie count is creaping up but I need food b/c I'm having a big pouch day, I focus on veggies - they fill you up for very little calories. That is, of course, already having hit my protein goals before I start consuming mass veggies! Another trick I do is what I mix my protein suppliments with: unsweetened almond milk seems to be a good bang for my buck as far as low calories and low carbs. Whenever I'd make my protein coffee in the am with unsweetened soy milk or regular milk, those calories & carbs add up! Yet another trick in keeping the calories low is what protein foods you're choosing - poultry & fish being lower in calories than red meat, cheese, etc.....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Rejoyce
on 4/10/12 5:20 am - Dayton, OH
I'm almost 13 months out and still need to lose weight, so I'm following the 1200 calorie limit.le.  It's not easy now, my capacity is more and my desire for diverse food is great.  But, I start my day with a Click/Unjury combination protein drink, that gets me 41 g. of protein, so I don't have to worry so much about my protein count.  I know I'll get the balance in my lunch and dinner.  I usually have fish or chicken for my protein sources and add vegetables.  I keep fresh veggies around for when I want to munch.  I also keep protein bars for an occasional treat.  They satisfy my sweet tooth, but I limit those or I risk my calories being too high.  I sometimes eat frozen Kashi dinners, as long as they have high protein.  I keep shrimp and ****tail sauce for a quick low calorie and high protein meal combined with a vegetable.  I also keep supplies for protein shakes as a snack or other meal replacement.  That is especially helpful when I am craving a sweet and don't have a protein bar.  Hope some of these ideas help.  I'm still working at this myself!

Congrats on your weight loss and for being so near goal!

Joyce
Life is just a stage I'm going through...
HW:253  SW: 230  CW: 170  GW: 140

hedrider
on 4/10/12 5:45 am - Midlothian, TX
Are you exercising?  I'm a little over 2 years out.  My doctor actually recommends me getting 1800-2000 calories a day due to my activity level.  I would have zero energy on 1200!  So perhaps the answer is not more restriction, but more activity instead?
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Lisa R.
on 4/10/12 7:16 am - CA
 Yes, I agree.  I have an iron issue that is making me not want to do much after work, but I need to break through that and just get some walking and sit ups in

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
hedrider
on 4/10/12 7:30 am - Midlothian, TX
 Check into Proferrin. I struggled with iron until I added one of these a day in addition to my carbonyl. 
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 418 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 166 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?