I am guilty.

pandabear1988
on 4/11/12 10:08 am, edited 4/11/12 10:09 am
So I have been on my liquid diet for two weeks now and I slipped and have taken bites of stuff here and there. I can go a couple of days without taking a bite and then I become weak and do something that I should not do. Today was really bad I had at most 1/2 cup of chicken and rice. I feel so guilty. My surgery is on the 25th and I hope my liver will be good enough for surgery. Since I have two more weeks left before surgery starting tomorrow I think I may have to stay away from food totally. It is kinda hard since I have a husband and kids to cook for though and we will be traveling soon. Can you give me any advice? I just feel like a complete failure.
poet_kelly
on 4/11/12 10:10 am - OH
Why not let your husband cook for himself and the kids for the next two weeks?  Or, if the kids are old enough, let them make themselves sandwiches or something for meals.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bridie_53
on 4/11/12 10:15 am - IL
RNY on 05/16/12
 You have a month of a preop liquid diet??? That seems excessive.

pandabear1988
on 4/11/12 10:16 am
My kids are 18 months and 3 the only thing they could get for themselves is stuff out of the fridge. It would be better if they were older though. I can ask my husband I think the only thing he would have a problem with is that he can't really cook. I know he would help me the best way that he could. Since we are about to go out of state for a week it will not be to hard since I will not be the one cooking.

pandabear1988
on 4/11/12 10:18 am
Yeah the doc told me 4 weeks and it stinks.
manda2108
on 4/11/12 10:47 am
 wow!! I feel for you..my liquid diet was 2 days...and I thought I was going to die!

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 4/11/12 10:36 am
RNY on 01/10/12
 Stouffers is the answer.  They'll survive for the next couple of weeks on frozen things your husband can heat up in the microwave.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

LawyerGirl
on 4/11/12 10:30 am, edited 4/11/12 10:31 am - Philadelphia, PA
 Four weeks of a pre-op liquid diet is tough.  Truly.  I had to do four weeks total, but thankfully only two before surgery and that was tough. I understand why you would feel guilty or frustrated.  Just try not to let it bring you down.  Ok...so you made a mistake.  No one is perfect.  But try to start each day with a new determination to follow the rules.  I think we all have a tendency to judge ourselves harshly, but that kind of thinking can lead you to a place of depression where it gets really difficult to get back on the horse.
Maybe, instead of thinking of the whole four weeks, maybe take them in groups of three. Or two.  Particularly since you said that you've been able to do a few days at a time without deviating from the diet.  Maybe with each success you can give yourself a small reward.  A manicure or pedicure if you don't do them regularly.  A trip to the park with your children.  And hour reading a book.  Whatever works for you.
The traveling is tough, but not impossible.  It will require a lot of discipline and preparation on your part.  You'll need to bring your protein shakes with you, and maybe, if you typically use a blender to make your shakes, you should have a few ready to drink ones on hand.  That's easier if it's a road trip, but if you're flying there are some protein powders you could take on the plane that you can mix with water.  Of course, try to have your sugar free jello and pudding (or whatever else your doctor approved) with you.

I wish you the best of luck. You can do it!!

Are you living or are you existing?  Check out my blog at http://toexistortolive.blogspot.com to find out!
sfranek
on 4/11/12 11:09 am - DE
The intent of your pre-op liquid diet weight loss is to shrink your liver.  While this is most commonly done with anywhere from a 2 week to 4 week liquid plan, the plan is basically an ultra low carb, high protein, restricted calorie diet plan.

Take a look at your Optifast or whatever product you are using.  While this may be the easiest way to meet the requirements for your diet, it most certainly will not hurt if you substituted one of your shakes with a chicken breast, or an egg, or similar high protein item.  

I'm sure it varies person to person, but I shocked the staff at my sugeons office when I mentioned (post surgery) that I had the majority of my Optifast remaining.  I stayed on a 1000 calorie per day, super high protein diet and my surgeon said my liver had shrunk perfectly. 

I am not a doctor, and I don't suggest you go against your doctors plans, but my point is that you are doing great and if you have the occassional lapse, have it with something healthy and keep on going.   Your surgery will go great.  Good luck!

Neaucora
on 4/11/12 1:52 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12
 I just started a 2 week diet on  monday.  I know what you are going through. I have slipped each day so far. My goal for tomorrow is not to slip. I had a cup of oatmeal earlier.  I have found that talking out loud at myself helps deter me, and walking outside and getting a few gulps of fresh air each time I want to eat something helps too. I have tried filling up on water, that didnt work.  I think tomorrow I might try an extra protien shake during my weak time of 3 to 6pm. Just think, soon we wont  be hungry. That will help sooooo very much.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics