Anyone else with this problem?

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/18/12 1:26 am
Truth hurts sometimes.  We make decisions about our lives that will affect the rest of it.  With herniated discs - the pain is most likely all the time - chronic.  The pain pills have to be taken daily.  I 
I get migraines. I used to take NSADIS - very strong ones - to control them.   But - migraines are usually not daily - every day for the rest of your life occurrence.  So taking one or 2 stronger meds for that - or find out what caused them in first place - will help.
Losing weight - will not help her repair the damage that was done to her spine.   With losing weight and exercise - and limiting the load on the spine - plus a lot of physical therapy and time - hopefully she will get better ...
 I know - I lived in pain for 5 years due to herniated discs, and I can't imagine not be able to take NSAIDS to help with that.  BTW: the NSAIDS in case of back pain - work 2 ways - One - limit the pain - 2 - reduce inflammation that causes the pain in first place.  The narcotics - they mask the pain - they do nothing to help healing ...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CriscoNinja
on 4/18/12 10:53 am, edited 4/18/12 10:54 am
DS on 06/05/12
 You're right, the truth does hurt.  But she already has had her surgery.  So why point out she should have had a different one?  She was asking advice on how to handle the pain, not a slap in the face of, "well why did you get that surgery?".  We don't know why she chose that surgery and I'm pretty sure she didn't want to debate it after the fact.  

Robin, I agree with the suggestion of having your surgeon contact your PCP and explain the NSAID issue. I hope you find relief soon!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/18/12 11:48 am
Why? so maybe next time she is doing something she may stop and think before she does it.  

I doubt she realized how dangerous the pain pills can be...  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Christina.in.Onederla
nd

on 4/17/12 10:49 pm, edited 4/18/12 12:15 am - CO
RNY on 01/23/12
Hi there. My Husband is an Army MP here @ FT Carson, CO & I had my RNY close to yours (1/23/12). I have found many military doctors to be uneducated to our post surgery needs as well.

My advice to you would be to provide him with literature/print outs of our requirements post op (ie: medications we can or can not take) & see if that helps. If not, you have the right to request a new primary &/or request a civilian Dr. You would need to make the request by calling Tricare. They can lead you in the right direction.

You also may need to be referred to the pain management dept. They are better equipped to handle long term pain issues & they treat w/ both meds & alternative methods.

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it."                                                            

jazzycatz
on 4/17/12 11:06 pm - Joppa, MD
Have you always had kidney stones or is this new after the surgery?  I ask because I had them early out...lots of us do, I believe...but it turns out I was inadvertently taking calicium caltrate not citrate.  I hadn't paid attention and bought the chews.  Once I stopped so did the stones. 

Also I take Tramadol.  It's non-narcotic but it mimics an opiate. Wouldn't work for kidney stone pain, however, that's hell. 

RobinAment
on 4/17/12 11:09 pm - FL
Thank you Christina. That's the best advice I've heard yet. I'll def give that a try!
I was not aware of military wives being drug seekers either. This is news to me. Not saying its true or not just haven't heard anything of it.
To the person asking why I hit the surgery knowing of my chronic pain.. Well I was told that losing the weight would help alot with my back pain. The pain for my kidney stones.. Well the only thing that's ever worked for that pain have only been narcotics anyways. I'm still glad I had the surgery! I probably wouldn't be around alot longer if I hadn't. I'll deal with the back pain if I have to but I was just hoping to have some help with it if all possible. Thanks you for all your opinions and advice. Robin.
RobinAment
on 4/17/12 11:12 pm - FL
 Jazzy, I've had kidney stones since I was in my teens. So def doesn't have anything to do with surgery. I've tried Tramadol for it as well and it does nothing for the pain. Yes they are hell! I feel for anyone who has to deal with them. 

stlfocus
on 4/18/12 12:25 am - IA
My insurance company has advocates you can talk with - RN's that will discuss your condition and give you advice.   After I had my surgery, they have called me to check on my progress and to see if there is any help they can offer.

It is possible they might step in and speak with your doctor about gastric bypass.

mirlyn2012
on 4/18/12 12:31 am - FL
RNY on 02/20/12
My surgery center has printouts they give patients with all of the meds we can no longer take and WHY. Can you get ahold of literature backing you up to give your pcm? Another option is to call tricare a.d ask for a new pcm or change to standard and find a civilian doctor.
      .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.Miranda.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.      
happy_baker
on 4/18/12 1:08 am
RNY on 02/15/12
My PCM is on a military base as well. And I never see him unless I'm sick with something non-RnY related. I haven't had any problems that require medication or anything, but if I did, and I needed narcotic meds, I would call my surgeon's office and ask for a referral to my PCM for the proper prescription. Good luck!
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 483 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 344 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 179 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 327 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?