What Calcium do you take?

RainDiva
on 4/22/12 12:49 am
I need to buy a Calcium supplement. I bought Cruves Bioavailable Calcium but you have to take atleast 4 gigantic pills a day to just get 800 mg which I didnt realize until I read the freaking bottle. I have been taking only one a day. I know that I could never take that many pills in one day plus I am suppose to get 1,000-1,500 mg a day so do the math on that one.
Does anyone know of a calcium citrate supplement that you take maybe one or two pills a day. because I have to time it right as well and not take 2 hours of Iron.

SarinaHaas
on 4/22/12 12:54 am - NY
RNY on 02/28/12
I take the Walmart brand of Citrical. I was using chewables, but I couldn't handle them anymore. I take 3 of the pills a day. Morning, noon, night time. They're big but they're not huge. :)
poet_kelly
on 4/22/12 1:00 am - OH
How many  mg is each pill?  If they are like Citracal, they have something like 315 mg per pill, so you'd need six a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 4/22/12 12:59 am - OH
The ASMBS says we need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate a day, and since we can only absorb about 500 mg at a time, that means we have to take it three or four times a day.  Depending on the brand you use, you may need to take two pills to get 500 mg.

I use a variety of things.  I take generic calcium citrate tablets, Upcal D, Calcet creamy bites and Bariatric Advantage caramel chews.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RainDiva
on 4/22/12 1:06 am
lol looks like there is no way around not taking more then 1`-2 pills a day in any brand.

MarilynT
on 4/22/12 1:05 am
I take the Walmart generic calcium citrate + D; I try to take it 3x/day but honestly usually only manage twice a day.

I think I will make taking my calcium my "May resolution".....

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

AllyMax
on 4/22/12 1:35 am, edited 4/22/12 1:41 am - GA
RNY on 01/20/12
I use Upcal D. It comes in individual 500 mg powder packets. I add it to my morning coffee, yogurt or mix it with my sugarfree drinks during the day. Makes it very easy to get in the 1,500 - 2,000 calcium requirement I need everyday.

Kat Kat
on 4/22/12 1:39 am - AZ
I order Opurity Calcium Citrate Plus Orange Chewables on-line, and take 6 a day (2 at a time). I think they taste like not so sour sweet tarts, and really look forward to them. I take 2 in the morning, and 2 at night which leaves me with one dose to take anywhere 2 hours apart from those during the day. I put the 2 midday calcium supplements in those little plastic zip lock pill pouches found at the pharmacy (you can reuse them too) and carry it in my pocket. I don't need a water source, so I can take them almost anywhere I am.

Kat

MzNeke
on 4/22/12 1:42 am - Cincinnati, OH
RNY on 05/22/12

Rain Diva,

Hi, I got mine from Bariatric Advantage and I actually look forward to taking them because I think that they are really tasty. I bought the Chewable Calcium Citrate Wild Cherry flavor 500 mg. I take three a day. I think that you would like them. Hope this helps.

GBPDIVA

Larry Wassmann
on 4/22/12 2:59 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
I got mine also form Bariatric Advantage. Got the 270 tablets per bottle. They are 500mg so I take 3 per day so that is about a 90 day supply. Cost about $50.00 to my house and I have them on automatic re-order. I got the chocolate flavor tabs. They are kind of grainy but do finally dissolve pretty much in your mouth before you swallow them. I have not had surgery yet and hope they go down well. I will see. By the way they are Citrate. I have not found any chewable citrate ones at my Costco store only the chewable chocolate ones that taste real good and have 20 calories each. They are not citrate.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 9 views
Recent Topics