Emotional issues with food

Zaniiaim
on 4/21/12 3:37 pm, edited 4/21/12 3:38 pm - CA
 I think this is emotional, and I'm not sure anyone has an answer but I guess I just want to hear I am not alone.  I am 7weeks out and since week 2 I can eat fine, hardly any issues, my pouch seems to be very content and I often wonder if I had the surgery.  Once I overate just to make sure I wasn't crazy, stupid I know.  I am REALLY struggling with the never full feeling.  This eating until I am satisfied is soooooo hard, I've never done it before in my life.  Either restricted heavily to lose weight the unhealthy way, or indulged.  How do I wrap my head around being satisfied.  It is so unfulfilling!! I feel like I don't know when to quit and when I do measure it I'm just left feeling blah, no contentment.  So yes, I need to address the emotional but if anyone can clue me in where to start I'd be so grateful.  And therapy isn't an option, we are relocating soon and I don't want to go to someone until I'm settled in the new state.  Thanks for listening.

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

RNY Revision 10-4-18

mrsprez_04
on 4/21/12 3:54 pm - Racine, WI
I feel you. I havent had surgery yet but I already am wondering how will I cope. I love to eat and feel satisfied. I know counseling will be a definate for me. I am glad to have found this forum and I know they'll be here to help you and me through diffacult times. And I'll be here to listen and understand. The stress of moving probally is adding to the need to feel OK. Take care and know we are here for you. 
THE_life10
on 4/21/12 4:27 pm
RNY on 03/26/12
you are not alone
i havent had issue either since week 2 either. seems like i have a pouch of steele.  I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op and i struggle measuring my food because i to want that satisfied feeling.
We are here to support you in the mean time.
there are a lot of awesome people on here, brilliant minds and i'm sure they will offer lots of words of encouragement.

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

Scaura
on 4/21/12 4:40 pm - Fort Collins, CO
Oh I loved being FULL!  Stuffed is even better.  However, I have learned that I don't need to feel that way, just not hungry and that is honestly not lasting.  I am hungry all of the time but it is just uncomfortable and I am learning to just live with it.  I have chronic shoulder pain and I have learned to live with that so I can live with this if it does continue.  I have felt full a few times, but it seems to only happen with eggs, and then it is only a half a medium egg.  I measure out my food, track it like crazy, and am just sticking with it.  You are not along though!

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

A. C
on 4/21/12 4:46 pm
You are not alone!
answers on how to get past the head hunger? i don't have those yet.. I am starting therapy this week, have started a 12 step program, and have bought a couple books about it.. so i'll get back to ya on that part.. lol
but i wanted to pipe in and say, yes, i relate - and remind you that it can get worse, i was only a couple months out when i reverted to eating "old foods" and really hindered my weight loss because i didn't address the issue quickly - don't be like me LOL
i understand not wanting to start with a therapist that you can't continue with - how long before you relocate? is a 12 step program something you'd consider? how about self help books along the way? also, can you speak to your surgerons office and see what resources they have available to you on this?

either way, whatever you decide, GOOD LUCK and keep on looking for the right answer FOR YOU

i'll let you know if and when i find the answers to head hunger hehe

HW: 376   SW: 354  

Tim T.
on 4/21/12 8:19 pm - Eastham, MA
If you feel like you must have more after a meal- try eating a couple of sugar free popsicles, They are only 15 calories each, cold, crunchy and sweet, have hydration and will keep your hands and mouth busy to satiate that feeling like you need more without going overboard. This may be an off topic reply to your post, but I tear through a couple of boxes a week and they have worked for me in that situation.

poet_kelly
on 4/21/12 8:22 pm - OH
I agree with you, satisfied is not the same as stuffed.  Sometimes I miss that stuffed feeling.  I can't really get it now, which is a good thing I guess, but sometimes I miss it.  Now, it seems like I go from just satisfied to uncomfortably full or even sick feeling, skipping that happily stuffed feeling like after Thanksgiving dinner.  Except I used to eat like that all year around.  Which is one reason I guess it's good I can't get that feeling anymore.

Maybe you can start with some journaling.  Just start writing about what it means to you to feel satisfied and what it means to indulge beyond that.  See if you can get down to what it was about eating that amount that gave you a sense of contentment.  And try writing about other things in your life that give you a sense of contentment.  Not that same physical feeling, but things in your life that are satisfying to you.

As far as therapy goes, when you say you are relocating soon, how soon is that?  I wouldn't want to start seeing someone that I would only be able to see a few times, but if it's going to be a few months, you might wanna go ahead and see someone short term.  A WLS support group could help a lot, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Zaniiaim
on 4/21/12 8:47 pm, edited 4/21/12 8:51 pm - CA
( sorry typos, im
Ipadding this in bed)

It means so much to know you're not alone.  I ask my husband about this lack of full problem and he says "I don't know".  And my skinny friends just nod their heads and look at me crazy lol.

Journaling-  this idea I like and half started but never kept it up, I'm going to make more of an effort with that.  I have a group that meets twice a month and I also need to go to that for some more support.
Popsicles!-  I like it, maybe I just need something in my hands, it's worth
A shot :)
Measuring and logging-  I don't do enough of and need to actually use
My fit day account I have. 

When you find the answer to head hunger you'll be a millionaire! 

How do you just get used to being hungry?!  It's so discouraging when I thought surgery would handle that one for me.  The willpower eludes me and has all my life but I guess you're right, it is just uncomfortable, it won't kill me :)

If my husband takes this job offer we would relocate when my oldest finishes school in June. 
The stress has been killing....it's a life changing decision to leave California, but one I am eager to do.  Things are up in the air, I thought I was coping
Ok, but maybe it's why all the hunger issues are there so strong right now.

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

RNY Revision 10-4-18

pnjgilbert
on 4/21/12 11:32 pm
I hope to have my surg in Sept, so I was very interested in all the feelings you are sharing. I worry about what it will be like for me too... I have the head hunger too and believe me, if you have never had a weight problem, you won't understand... I am a Navy wife, and my husband retired after 24 yrs in the USN Submarine service, so I get the anxiety of the moving.... just look at it like the next adventure in your NEW life... embrace what ever may come.... a new environment for the new you!  We moved every 4 yrs  and sometimes were not even sure until the last minute where we were getting stationed next !  I had been reading the book by Jillian Michaels of the Biggest Loser and have learned to stop after eating for about 5 mins and evaluate how hungry I still feel. It has helped me to listen to my body..... usually once you tame that ravenous hungry feeling, you realize you are satisfied and can stop....  Don't know if this will help you, but I try to check this forum daily for the support I need now and know I will need all of you after my surgery...  Take today and think of the new adventures that you can have with the NEW YOU in the new place...
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics