what's on your grocery list? with lots of protein low carbs need ideas

RainDiva
on 4/22/12 1:16 am
Need to get back on track with requirements after WLS. I am 6 months post op and although doing great I see a trend leaning toward carbs. I want to get back on the protein wagon. What are some good things to eat that have lots of protein? I need to start bring healthy lunches to work and shy away from carbs especially breads, crackers and wraps

rockym
on 4/22/12 1:28 am
 Turkey slices.  Low carb soft tortillas.  Laughing Cow cheese.  Dry roasted nuts.  Tuna pouches.

poet_kelly
on 4/22/12 1:28 am - OH
Lots of beans.  Which do have carbs, but they are complex carbs and good for you.

Greek yogurt.  Unless I am making my own.

Veggie burgers.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wendydettmer
on 4/22/12 1:32 am - Rochester, NY
vegan boca burgers, tempeh, beans (i make a bunch of different bean dishes), diced tomatoes, cottage cheese, yogurt, low fat hummus. fresh fruits and veggies
Scaura
on 4/22/12 2:01 am - Fort Collins, CO
Grilled Tofu triangles with different sauces

Slow Cooker Turkey Breast

Eggface's crust-less quiches and mini protein packed meatloaf (please check out her blog for a million an 2 idea for these)

Nik's blog also has so many ideas for lunch

Cheesy Chicken (Crock Pot: 3 chicken breasts, 1 can cream of chicken, 1 can cheddar cheese soup, 1 can chicken broth, on low for 8 hours, will make meals for a week and freezes well in single servings)

Different cheeses (you can change the taste of canned chicken so easily with different cheeses; Whole Foods has so many yummy cheeses and you can get a sample before committing. Cracked Pepper Extra Sharp White Cheddar is fantastic shredded over canned chicken)

Bison burgers with lettuce instead of bread

Cucumber slices with light ranch dressing or Greek yogurt

Meal planning seems to be the key.  It certainly is for me as it really reduces my anxiety leaving the house at this early stage if I have planned well.  I also like to walk around places like Whole Foods to get ideas.  I don't buy a lot there because of the prices, but the ideas do come.

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/22/12 2:05 am - Baltimore, MD
Cottage cheese
Greek yogurt
Eggs
String cheese
Turkey pepperoni

So many of my meals start with those simple things.
NHPOD9
on 4/22/12 2:34 am
I don't buy all of these things weekly, but these are the foods I seem to rely on:

cottage cheese or greek yogurt
eggs
Morningstar sausage patties (I like to make egg mugs)
Morningstar mushroom burger
cheese sticks/cheese
tuna (i've started mixing it with artichoke brushetta instead of mayo and it is delicious)
refried beans
tofu
Oscar Meyer Oven Roasted Turkey
almond milk for protein shakes

Nik's taco casserole is a staple in my life.  

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/22/12 2:35 am - Baltimore, MD
If only I could get my oldest to like it, it would be a staple in ours too. Sigh...

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

JudiJudi T
on 4/22/12 3:17 am

I tend to eat a lot of the same things for lunch.  If I don't have any leftovers I always have little burgers in the freezer which I eat with a bit of cheese and sometimes avocado.  I also make chicken salad with pecans and a small amount of dried cranberries.  Paired with either balsamic vinegar based cole slaw or 3 bean salad.  I do eat the chicken salad in half a flat-out wrap but you can eat it by itself just as easily.    

Another thing I eat occasionally is Pioneer Woman's Avocado Egg Salad - that's scrumptious.  I just don't think egg salad has as much protein as other lunches so I don't eat it that often.   

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

Lori P.
on 4/22/12 4:13 am - Kenosha, WI
I am pretty boring....I tend to eat the same things all the time.  I stock up on the following items every week and bring them to work...also use them for snacks.:

Greek yogurt (I eat it plain)
Low fat string cheese
Boliled eggs (usually eat just the egg white)
Baked chicken to add to my spinach salad (I usually have that for both lunch and supper)
Turkey Bites (tiny summer sausage pieces)  

That all I got!

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 417 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?