OptiSource Post Bariatric Surgery Formula

pandabear1988
on 4/27/12 3:38 am, edited 4/27/12 3:40 am
I heard that OptiSource was great for post bariatric patients. I bought them the day my surgery got cancelled. I was wondering if anyone is taking them or if you heard good things about this multivitamin? For those who want to know I bought it at Walgreens for $27.00 and they are chewables. I tried finding a nutrition table picture that matched my bottle but I could not find the correct one. 

poet_kelly
on 4/27/12 3:41 am - OH
They are not great for RNY patients.

We need 200% of the RDA of most stuff daily (according to the ASMBS).  To get that, we'd need to take EIGHT Optisource.  Or we could just take TWO Centrum, or Bariatric Advantage, or Celebrate chewable multis.

Optisource has calcium carbonate in it, but we can't absorb that.  So we'd still need to take 1500-2000 mg calcium CITRATE.  But all that calcium carbonate might give us kidney stones.

We can't absorb the B12 in them because we don't have enough intrinisic factor in our pouch. We need a sublingual, or shots, or the nasal spray.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 310 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 310 views