milk diet???

mollysadventure
on 4/27/12 12:58 pm - WA
RNY on 06/26/12
soo...at my last appointment with the doc on Wednesday they told me about this pre operative diet that i will be started on as soon as i get my surgery date. for 2 to 8 weeks i will be o. a diet strictly milk and water to reduce fat around my liver. has anyone done this and if so how long and how horrible was it? any info would be helpful....i am almost there

Scaura
on 4/27/12 1:18 pm - Fort Collins, CO
Sorry I can't help.  I did not have to do any liquid or restrictive diet, just no food after 11pm the night before.  It sounds hideous though.  I can't drink milk, even lactose free, so I guess I would be on a water diet for 8 weeks.  

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

CathyD1968
on 4/27/12 1:38 pm - OH
RNY on 04/30/12 with
 My surgery is this coming Monday. I have been on a liquid diet for 2 weeks. Water, protein shakes, SF jello, SF pudding, SF popsicles, broth, cream soup(pureed). Its been a long 2 weeks, but after day 4 it seems to get better. I have lost about 20 pounds in 2 weeks! So there is a big benefit for us! LOL  Good luck to you! You can do this!!!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVe5uXv/] [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wVe5uXv/blk-weight.png[/img] [/url]        
littleskie
on 4/27/12 2:04 pm - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I've heard of the clear liquid and the full liquid diets but never heard of a milk diet.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

poet_kelly
on 4/27/12 7:27 pm - OH
Since milk is high in carbs and sugar I'm not sure how that would shrink the liver.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/27/12 9:18 pm - OH
Probably because it is primarily (but ot exclusively) the fat content of the diet that causes liver enlargement.  So as long as the milk is not whole milk, it would still shrink the liver.

Milk and water seems like an odd combinations as opposed to a more traditional shorter full-liquids or protein shake diet, but I guess it would be much lower in calories and still have some protein.  I worry about putting the body under that much physical and metabolic stress right before major surgery, though. That is one of the many reasons my surgeon did not have an extended pre-op diet beyond low fat and low sugar for two weeks.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rbb825
on 4/28/12 11:44 am - Suffern, NY
I would question your surgeon about why no protein shakes - just milk and water is so little protein or any nutrients for a long period of time.  You need strength going into surgery and protein does that

oxfordcat
on 4/29/12 4:56 am - NJ
someone else did it too.  APplejax i think if you search her posts.

"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same". Elphaba    
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views