I need some help please...

Melody D.
on 4/30/12 5:57 am - Pueblo, CO
I have now lost too much weight.  I weigh 111 and am looking scrawny and gaunt.  Surely someone has been through this.  I need to know how to gain some weight.  My goal is 127-130ish. I never thought I'd have this problem. My NUT hasn't been any help, she just says keep eating what you're eating. Obviously that's not working.  My labs look great except my protein is a little low.  Should I try drinks like Boost or Ensure?

Help!! 
Panniculectomy & Mastopexy (Breast Reduction & Lift)- 1/3/12
Upper Thigh Lift & Upper Arm Lift- 3/13/12
HW-290,
SW-288, GW-127, CW-111

poet_kelly
on 4/30/12 6:04 am - OH
I would try a good protein shake instead.  How many calories do you get on a typical day now?  You can easily add 200-300 calories with a good shake.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Melody D.
on 4/30/12 7:02 am - Pueblo, CO
 I'd estimate I'm getting between 1500-1750 calories. I haven't actually counted.  I think I'll break down and start trying the Ensure w/Revigor (protein.) I just have to tell myself its ok to pay $9 for a 6pk of shakes. Eeesh.
HW-290,
SW-288, GW-127, CW-111

Dave Chambers
on 4/30/12 6:35 am - Mira Loma, CA

You may have "bottomed out" from WLS. Most patients I know do have some wt regain after 18-24 months.  I'm 6' 3 " and started out at 365. It took me 24 months, but I got down to 186. I looked gaunt, felt weak and had a pasty complexion at that wt.  At 205-210 I feel much better, don't look guant, and have more strength.  Eat more protein.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Melody D.
on 4/30/12 7:06 am - Pueblo, CO
 Thanks for the insight Dave.  I'll try and get a lot more protein in.
HW-290,
SW-288, GW-127, CW-111

dasie
on 4/30/12 6:58 am
Contact Lady Lithia and Tazz.  Lady Lithia had the same problem, became very concerned then had bounce back.  Now she wants to lose a few, if I remember correctly.  Tazz weighs 104 and is slowly climbing back up.  You can find Tazz on the Light weight's Board.  What I've read, I do not have that issue, is start eating full fat cheese, butter...things with more calories.  You can also try things like high calories protein drinks like Kelly recommended.  My father, a throat and lung cancer patient lived on Ensure for 5 years.  That was his only source of food other than juices due to his throat cancer and the effects of surgery and radiation. 

Do a search on here regarding needing to gain.  I read the other week about people who became concerned by the way they looked only to start working at regaining only to eventually have a problem of needing to lose again. 

How tall are you?  Don't let people scare you.  If you truly are unhappy and feel unhealthy, you should be able to start gaining with some effort.  Tazz is the first who comes to my mind.

Melody D.
on 4/30/12 7:05 am - Pueblo, CO
 I'm only 5'0" tall. I will look up the two ladies you mentioned.  As I told Kelly, I think I'm gonna have to break down and buy Ensure w/Revigor (protein.) I'm just so cheap it makes me shudder to spend $9 on a 6pk. But I'm tired all the time, I'm soooo boney, and I feel weak.

HW-290,
SW-288, GW-127, CW-111

InkdSpEdTchr
on 4/30/12 7:22 am
I don't understand why you would spend so much for a protein shake (Ensure), when you can buy the powder and make them yourself for so much cheaper?

Or for that matter, just eat a couple of eggs or add cheese, or another snack of chicken breast. It's pretty easy to add lean proteins that don't cost $1.50 a pop!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

dasie
on 4/30/12 7:40 am
Just be aware that this phase will pass.  We lose so quickly our skin is like a deflated balloon.  After a while the elasticity helps the skin conform a little better, at least in our faces, and we look better.  I had family tell  me last time they saw me how much better I looked.  Funny thing...I weighed the same when they saw me months earlier. We were warned about this happening.   Maybe they became accustomed to me at this weight.  I am 5'9" +, and my weight fluctuates between 128 and 134.  I am a few pounds from  my goal.  For a while I looked too thin, then things truly settled down..

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 299 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics