Fat goggles!

mikkisha
on 5/6/12 6:44 am - grafenwohr, XX

I had a really interesting experience a few months ago and though I would share it here with you! I was traveling in the states via space A (I am a military spouse). And I started talking to this family sitting next to me. (I could hold a conversation with the wall!) Anyhow we got to talking and comparing space A travel to regular commercial flying. We all decided that space A could be unpredictable but all in all was a bit more comfortable.

Then the wife says "ya and this way you don't get stuck next to that really fat person". She then goes on to elaborate on the comment. The whole time I am having a complete confused conversation with myself in my head. I could not understand WHY and HOW she could be so RUDE, I mean does she NOT see that she is talking to an overweight person! Yet she didn't seem to be throwing a dig at me, she had the tone of person trying to get you to agree with her, like we were in the same boat. I left the conversation confused, and it was not until telling this to my husband that I realized, this woman did not think I was FAT! 

I guess I was still wearing my fat goggles, I think I still am now. But it struck me that for the first time in my life I heard the truth about what people think of the overweight. It is sad, but I guess it is just reality! 

YOUTUBE.COM/KISHAGETSSKINNY        
Dagne Tripplehorn
on 5/6/12 7:27 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 That's a complicated scenario. There's the "Why are you saying this to me?" thing. But then there's the "Is this a time when I stand up for fat people?" question, too. For instance, if someone wants you to share their hatred of a racial or ethnic group, do you say something? Whether or not you're a member of the target group, there's some social responsibility to not let prejudice run unchecked.

Just exploring this situation. Obviously it's a personal decision to speak up or let it go and quietly end the conversation. I'm not sure what I would do.

mikkisha
on 5/6/12 7:35 am - grafenwohr, XX

That is totally true. I was at a loss for words to be honest. And was so caught up and confused that I didn't really agree or comment. I think if ever put in that situation again I still wouldn't know what I would say.

I mean no one wants to be squished next to someone for 8 hours. But at the same time, no one wants to squish someone for 8 hours either. Its a slippery slope with a lot of grey area. I think I would at least try to get them to understand how humiliating it is to be the one that does not fit in the seat right. But I can not fault them for not wanting to be squished :/ 

THE_life10
on 5/6/12 9:13 am
RNY on 03/26/12
Although I'm no where near my goal weight I can understand how you feel and the confusion.  I was one of those fat people who didnt see myself as fat..i was in denial.  So I never felt awkward when people around me were talking about fat people..at times it would even join in .  But as I got older I realized how shallow and immature most people can be..and the same people who would sit back and talk about overweight people would smile and coo in that same persons face     It sucks but like you said...its reality.  sad but true. 

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

happy_baker
on 5/6/12 9:20 am, edited 5/5/12 9:21 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
I had a similar moment today. I was manning the registration table at a blood drive, and the woman helping me was talking about overweight people with deep veins and how the phlebotomists have trouble with them. And then she said, "We're really lucky we don't have to worry about that."

I sat there for a minute, thinking, "Who's We?"

And then I realized she meant us! She and I. And I am still significantly overweight, which makes it all the more confusing.

Very odd.
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
mikkisha
on 5/6/12 4:21 pm - grafenwohr, XX
See ya that is exactly how I felt! I think what has happened is we have moved into a zone where we may be overweight, but it kinda just looks like we are chubby..... I am not sure! But it is really eye opening to see how differently people treat you! 
Zeigled
on 5/6/12 11:37 am - Parkton, MD
I struggled with that the other day when someone was talking to me about their morbidly obese father. She wasn't saying he was an awful person or anything - but she was saying she thought less of him.  I was almost about to tell her but we got interupted. 
HW 357 SW 341   

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 250 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views