Body Image

Jeanine J.
on 5/7/12 4:08 am
I am just about one year post op and down 106lbs. (Yay Me!!!) I am having trouble seeing the new me most of the time. I try to avoid full length mirrors and try not to look when I walk by windows. I don't like what I see when I am naked and clothed. I feel more self conscience NOW than I did at 262 lbs! How did/do you deal with the issue of body image? I knew that there would be changes in my body and I tried to gear myself up for them. I guess it kind of hits you all of a sudden. I just want to accept myself and be able to look at myself and say "hey you look fabulous. You just lost 100 lbs. You did something amazing" and actually believe the words! Any words of advise would help me greatly!

What's worth the PRIZE is ALWAYS worth the FIGHT!                
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/7/12 4:13 am
time and a good therapist. Good BF - also adds to the the feeling good...
Positive approach.

Google : body dismorphia... and how to deal with that

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

LJ1972
on 5/7/12 4:29 am - FL
working with my counselor on it now.....
Suite1
on 5/7/12 5:04 am - Dayton, OH

Body image is a tough one.  Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be happy with my body.  I know I can look down at my thighs and I see the same ones I always have - didn't matter if I weighed 280 or 150 or anything in between, they look the same to me.  It's not until I see a photo or a reflection that I see the difference.

At 280# I hated my body because it was so fat.  At 150# I was frustrated because I looked like a SharPei (one of those dogs with all the wrinkles).  After having a lower body lift, tummy tuck and breast augmentation, I feel like tits on a stick and struggle with the scar (it's only been 9 weeks so it'll improve with time).   My husband refers to it as my zipper.  I call it FrankenScar.  I guess part of me was hoping I'd look like I did at 30 when I was at 147 - but that was 21 years ago and gravity is a *****!

I don't know what the answer is to be honest.  My counselor recommended a book on body image about a year or so ago, but it just wasn't resonating with me at the time.  I usually take that as a sign that it's not the right time for me to receive the message.  I saw it on the book shelf the other day and now this most makes me wonder if maybe the time is right for me to try again.

I guess all I can say is that you're not alone.  I spend a lot of time studying myself in the mirror just trying to get used to the new me.   I'm 5'9" and big boned.  From kindergarthen through 8th grade I was always the tallest person in my class - boy or girl.   I'm used to being called "Amazon Woman" so if someone calls me "tiny" I look over my shoulder wondering who they're talking to.    I hope it gets better in time, but for now, I've called a truce with my body and have decided if there is something I don't like, I'll deal with it non surgically and if whatever I do doesn't work, I'll learn to love & accept it.

HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 236 views