Vitamins

Kristina679
on 5/11/12 4:15 am - Somerville, MA
RNY on 03/20/12
 My  pcp wants me to start  taking  Magnesium supplements daily, iron, zinic and biotin   but i have a question that is in the mulit vitmain i take now do i need more of it

poet_kelly
on 5/11/12 4:37 am - OH
You might.  Why does your PCP want you to take these?  Did your labs show you were low on them, and if so, how low?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kristina679
on 5/11/12 6:27 am - Somerville, MA
RNY on 03/20/12
zinic and biotin   the sugegan wants to take these and  the other ones are from my pcp here are my labs
WHITE BLOOD CELL                             4.0 - 10.8 TH/uL                  8.4                 
RED BLOOD CELL COUNT                       4.50 -5.10M/uL                4.59                
HEMOGLOBIN                                    12.0 - 16.0 g/dl                  11.4 (L)             HEMATOCRIT                                     36.0 - 48.0 %                     35.2 (L)             MEAN CORPUSCULAR VOL                   80.0 - 100.0 fl                   76.7 (L)             MEAN CORPUSCULAR HGB                 27.0 - 33.0 pg                    24.8 (L)             MEAN CORP HGB CONC                       32.0 - 36.0 g/dl                  32.3                 RBC DISTRIBUTION WIDTH                 11.5 - 14.3 %                     20.2 (HH)            PLATELET COUNT                               150 - 400 TH/uL                   332                  MEAN PLATELET VOLUME                         6.4 - 10.8 fl                     9.6                        MAGNESIUM                                      1.8 - 2.6 mg/dl                   1.2 (L)              VITAMIN D,25 HYDROXY                 30.0 - 100.0 ng/ml                26.6 (L)   

these labs are  from my pcp                 
poet_kelly
on 5/11/12 6:29 am - OH
OK, this shows your magnesium is low, so you do need more of that.  It also shows your vitamin D is extremely low (needs to be at least 80 according to the Linus Pauling Institute) so you need to take a lot of D3.

But I don't see zinc or biotin levels.  So why does your surgeon want you to take those?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kristina679
on 5/11/12 6:34 am - Somerville, MA
RNY on 03/20/12
My pcp  order a scpit for  vit D as far as the zinc and biotin so i dont lose my hair
poet_kelly
on 5/11/12 6:35 am - OH
I've never seen any studies showing that taking extra zinc or biotin will prevent hair loss, although deficiencies will cause hair loss.  So you could get labs done to see if you have deficiencies, or you could just take extra without knowing if you need it or not.

The script your PCP wrote was probably for D2.  Is it Drisdol?  Looks like little green footballs?  That's not absorbed well at all.  D3 would be much better absorbed.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/11/12 5:29 am, edited 5/11/12 5:29 am
I do take it. Instead of stool softener. I know magnesium is what my body need anyway... and any extra will end up in the bowels for easy BM... My body does not need miralax, or any other chemical.. with magnesium - it takes what it needs and dumps the rest to in the  colon..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Brian121
on 5/11/12 8:25 am, edited 5/11/12 8:38 am
Your vitamin D level is fine according to the latest research (just barely low at most).  The Linus Pauling number of 80 goal is in nmol/L units -- your labs are in ng/mL -- so you are very close to this already (which converts to 32 ng/mL).  If you were to raise your vitamin D to 80 ng/mL, you would increase your risk of some serious health problems according to the latest research.  Take 2000 IU of vitamin D per day and you will be just fine.  

Here is what is on the U.S. Gov's NIH (National Institutes of Health) dietary website: "50 nmol/L (20 ng/mL) is the serum 25(OH)D level that covers the needs of 97.5% of the population. Serum concentrations >125 nmol/L (>50 ng/mL) are associated with potential adverse effects...Emerging evidence links potential adverse effects to such high levels, particularly >150 nmol/L (>60 ng/mL)"  ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind

I wrote two extensive posts on this exact problem of unit error with vitamin D and associated overdose, which I encourage Poet_Kelly and others to read so as to not encourage overdosing.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 250 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics