boy do I hate Mothers Day = so depressing to be home along

rbb825
on 5/13/12 6:41 pm - Suffern, NY
Well, To me Mothers Day is the worst day of the year.  I know everyone is out celebrating with there families and I am home alone.  My mom died back in May  1998 and my Dad moved to Florida in 2001 with his new wife (they got married in May 2000.  , I live in NY about 35 miles from NYC.  Ever since he moved, no one else in the family does anything for any holidays other than

I miss my mom so much and I think of her every day, she kept me going when I was sad and could always read my mind.  we were best friends.  It hasnt been the same without here.   She was very sick for along time and i spent alot of time with her.  Part of the time I lived with them but when my dad and I would get on each others nerves too much, he felt a femaie in her 30's should have her own apartment and he couldnt understand that I was saving money and paying off credit cards plus I was helping my mom.  But, i got an apartment about 2 miles from there house but it was pretty expensive adn could only stay a year and ended up moving about 5 miles away which was aliitle cheaper - I shared it and that is where I was when she passed away.  the call came at 8 am in the morning.  a blood clot to the lung after ankle surgery  5 days prior.

I have 2 brothers = one lives about an hour away but he has 2 girls and they are always so busy with work  and school - he is in retail and works 6 days per week, 1 of the girls is away at college,   so I never see them and my other  brother  is in Boston  = my nephew live in Washington State while going to college out there and my niece is getting ready to getting ready to go to college in September.

So, needless to say,   I was totally alone today just like every other Mother Day since the year 1998  after my mom died. Dad moved to Florida in 2001 and then everything changed, we didtnt celebrate anything anymore other than thanksgiving and the cousins party which probably started abouted abou tthen

NHPOD9
on 5/13/12 7:25 pm
 I'm sorry you are feeling so sad this morning about your mom's passing.  I am lucky that both my parents are still alive, but I know these holidays will be harder at some point in the future.

Have you given any thought to starting a new tradition to help yourself through this holiday?  For example, I bet there are mothers in retirement homes that feel the same way; maybe visiting or doing something for others would help you cope?  Just a suggestion, of course, and is meant in no way to be insensitive.  I hope you feel better. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 5/13/12 9:14 pm
RNY on 01/10/12
 I love the idea of visiting a nursing home.  We "sprang" my 97yo grandmother from hers yesterday and took her out to lunch, but I know there were a lot of people there who had no visitors yesterday. 

Hugs to the OP. 

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Strjen
on 5/13/12 7:38 pm - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12
*HUGS*   I'm sorry you are having a time with Mother's Day. My parents are still alive but live on the east coast & I'm up here in ND. I know its not the same as not having your mom here at all. I wish I could give you a big hug & make the pain go away. I know your mom may not be alive here on earth, but I know she is proud of you & everything you have accomplished in your life. I'd have to say you are a Miracle, after all that you have gone through. You are meant to be here for some reason. I think my pain med's are rambling now, but I just wanted to give you an internet hug & let you know I care.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

rbb825
on 5/14/12 8:06 pm - Suffern, NY
thanks so much - that was very nice to hear.  Not everyone understand all I have gone through the past few years and it means alot when people do.  thanks again and I sorry you didnt get to see your family.

dasie
on 5/13/12 8:25 pm
I feel badly for you.  My Mom passed in 1991.  I too think of my Mother almost every day.  The older I become the more I think of her.

Your Mother was blessed to have such a caring daughter.  I can't imagine the pain you have in your heart.  My Mother and I were not close...relationally and geographically.  I have many regrets.  You can rest in peace knowing you were there for your Mother, and she knew it. 

I can't think of a more fulfilling friendship than having closeness with your Mother.  Though she was not with you yesterday, you celebrated her life with us by writing this and paying tribute to her.  Cherish your memories, as I know you do. 

yahpraiser
on 5/13/12 10:03 pm - danville, AL
Oh sweety I am so sorry!!! I cant imagine how sad you feel. I still have my mom. She gets on my nerves but I know that one day I will not have her anymore so I just try to smile and make the best of it. She is a very negative person, suspicious, judgmental but shes my mom. I am the oldest of three girls and the other 2 are never there for her. They only call when they want money. I usually try to make up for their lack of involvement. She loves for me to take her shopping and buy her things. I am the only one that does. She also loves to go out to eat. I got my love of food from her. That has been hard since I had surgery but I still take her and usually get soup.
I love her very much. I cant imagine life without her. My hormones and emotions have been extreme since surgery as well. The smiling and making the best of her negativity is so hard right now. But again I tell myself one day I know I would love to hear her complain and wont be able to because she will have passed.
Maybe on Mothers Day you can purpose yourself to go do something for yourself. Get your hair fixed, do a spa day, go out with a friend. I know I have friends that I have known since I was a kid and they are like a surrogate family for me. I always call and wish the mom happy Mothers Day. I have even spent many holidays with them and invited them to my house with my family on holidays. Maybe you have people like that. Its not the same and no one can replace your mom but at least you wouldn't have to be alone.
Lots of love and hugs to you!!!!! 
grmadeb01
on 5/14/12 12:58 am - FL
sorry for your pain, but i would suggest checking out some of the local senior centers, independent living apartments for seniors(these are for ones that are pretty agil, but live in senior living) or the assisted living ones....there are alot of seniors that do not have anyone and they would love to be your friend or your adopted mother....would benefit you both...someone already suggested the nursing homes....
family can be what you make of your friends not just the blood family that you were born into...close friends can be like family...

please take a deep breath and go for a walk, put some music on and dance in your house and get silly...both of those will help you out..
debby
Dagne Tripplehorn
on 5/14/12 3:14 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 I'm a fine one to talk, being practically a hermit, but get out of the house and be of service to others. It's a wonderful way to bring joy--or at least contentment--to people, including yourself. You have a lot of love inside you. There are many who need it and will give you love in return. If you prefer animals to humans, many homeless cats and dogs need love, too.

Your mother was fortunate to have you, as you were fortunate to have her. She must have been a lovely woman. 

rbb825
on 5/14/12 8:15 pm - Suffern, NY
I so wish I could have a little dog but they arent allowed in my apartment complex and most complexes where I live and I am allergic to cats plus I feel it is cruel to lock up a dog in an apartment where it doesnt have a backyard to run around in and even room inside to run around in - my apartment is very small.  I have many medical problems and wouldnt be able to walk it whenever it needed especially early morning or late at night when I am already lying in bed - not asleep but already in bed.

I really appreciate you taking the time for replying and I do love animals but it just isnt feasible for me at this point of my life.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 294 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics