leaky incision

Mom23crazies
on 5/14/12 10:59 pm
RNY on 05/08/12 with
woke up this morning to find my shirt and bed wet, coming from the main incision from surgery (had my lap band and port taken out from that one). the incision isn't red or anything and nothing's stinky, so i called the surgeon who said that  sometimes fluid gets trapped between the skin and muscle and when the pocket pops, it just has to drain.

it's grossing me out.

anyone else have this? i mean it's been draining all morning so far.

i am a week out today.
rachel05
on 5/14/12 11:14 pm - Leesburg, GA
I had laporscopic surg,RNY..at my belly button i had excessive leaking. it stopped about 3 days later.Not blood,just fluid..I just got gause and covered it. Gross yes,harmful,no..

I hope you are feeling good other wise
rachel05
on 5/14/12 11:15 pm - Leesburg, GA
Oh I forgot to add.My doc said i had a lot of scar tissue there from previous surgies..
Mom23crazies
on 5/14/12 11:24 pm
RNY on 05/08/12 with
Thanks, Rachel! Good to know. yeah, i had a ton of scar tissue in that area from my horrible band and the two revisions i had to have on it so maybe that's why. i will pack on the gauze and i think i'll take another day off work!

rachel05
on 5/14/12 11:28 pm - Leesburg, GA
My sister is currently recovering from band removal surgery.Her's was a long very dramtic event. Glad to hear your's was no that and you could fix things..

Another day off,sounds like a good plan!!
Amber H.
on 5/15/12 12:22 am - UT
RNY on 06/01/12
I had something similar happen with my c-section....my wound healed around a pocket of fluid. The doctor called it a seroma. Like yours, it wasn't smelly or painful...more annoying!

I also had a lap gallbladder removal and my belly button incision was a little leaky, a lot like this, but it was done in a few days and healed very well. 
PMarie
on 5/15/12 1:33 am - Bloomington, MN
 Had the same thing following my open RNY-- seroma.  I had to pack it with iodoform gauze twice a day, to allow the wound to heal from the inside out, rather than closing over on top.  

volky64
on 5/15/12 2:01 am
I had this as well.  Unfortunately for me, mine didn't want to cooperate and took about 3 months to fully heal.  Praying that yours will heal like normal people
but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask anything you want
Mom23crazies
on 5/15/12 4:23 am
RNY on 05/08/12 with
oh wow three months! it just feels so odd because it's right in the dead middle of my gut so when i stand or sit or do anything i feel like there's pressure on the wound anyway, since it's healing. i've had to change the dressing a couple times already today and hope it tapers off. i don't have an appt with surgeon til next week but think that, unless it turns bright red (kinda milky now), i'll jus****ch it.

i'm back to work in a couple of days and i think i'd better wear dark shirts so i don't freak anyone out if it leaks more. i had no idea you could even have these seromas! i'm so grateful for everyone here.

volky64
on 5/16/12 3:05 am
I had no idea either.  I wish you the best of luck.  Just keep an eye on it and if it starts to leak a lot, call your surgeon, they will advise you on what to do next.  Good luck!!! 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 474 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 392 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 38 views
Recent Topics