uh-oh... condom broke

kait8513
on 5/16/12 1:50 am - FL
RNY on 02/06/12
Ok, so last night the condom broke --- I am 3.5 months out.  Granted I had this surgery so we could have more kids.... but I am worried.  If I get pregnant now could I potentially hurt or kill the baby bc of my malabsorption????  Would love to hear from some of you "experts" who know more about this than me.

My husband and I have NEVER used condoms until I had surgery-- we knew we needed to wait.  I could absolutely be jumping the gun here since I have a 5 year old and haven't used protection since, but just in case I would love a little feedback.  My worry is not my own weightloss at this point, it is for the health of a (possible) baby...
--Kaitlyn
Starting Weight:275     Surgery Weight:255   "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" 

NHPOD9
on 5/16/12 1:53 am, edited 5/16/12 1:55 am
Could you go to your local pharmacy and ask for Plan B?  Then you could alleviate this worry...

http://ec.princeton.edu/pills/plan-b.html

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

kait8513
on 5/16/12 1:57 am - FL
RNY on 02/06/12
My problem is we REALLY want a baby... We have lost babies in the past and our 5 yr old is a miracle....  I want to see if anyone has had this situation and how it has turned out before making that kind of decision...
--Kaitlyn
Starting Weight:275     Surgery Weight:255   "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" 

manda2108
on 5/16/12 1:59 am
 I don't really know much about it but I know you can get the plan B pill at walgreens/cvs. From what I've seen on the commercials it will not abort a pregnancy if you are already pregnant..but it will prevent conception?(I may be completely wrong). I would call your OBGYN or pharmacist if you would like some actual information about it..and figure out if it goes along with your standards/beliefs. 

Cheryl N.
on 5/16/12 2:01 am - Des Moines, WA

Talk to your surgeon...

Where are you in your cycle?  If you are having "egg white", that means you are fertile...

if you are that worried, go get plan B, it's not an abortion pill.  It's just a higher dose of a birth control pill. 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/16/12 2:06 am - Baltimore, MD
While I'm not advocating for you to TRY to get pregnant right now, plenty of folks have gotten pregnant (in "oops" fashion) their first year post op. There are challenges. Your doctor would work with you to overcome those challenges.

I'd say do your best to prevent pregnancy until your weight loss is a bit more stable but if you are pregnant now, it's not the end of the world.
nursejean
on 5/16/12 2:21 am
I agree w/Nik. Don't panic...you will be okay either way :)
Surgery date of 4/30/12                                                                                                        
BellaSaid35
on 5/16/12 2:48 am
 I agree. Is not unheard of to become pregnant soon after surgery.

Rny 2.14.12

poet_kelly
on 5/16/12 2:51 am - OH
Chances are you won't get pregnant because of this but it is possible.  If you do get pregnant this early out, you can still have a healthy baby but you'd need to work closely with your surgeon and an OB that deals with high risk cases and be super careful about your diet and vitamins.  I would try not to worry yet.  Chances are you'll be fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Brittany M.
on 5/16/12 2:52 am
Do not worry; the baby would (most likely) be just fine.  It is you who would take the hit.  I got pregnant with my oopsie baby (was on the pill) about 3 months post op.  He is now a happy, healthy (slightly annoying LOL) 3 -year old.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics