Thoughts on Teens having Gastric Bypass

slashes
on 5/18/12 2:25 am
Another member just posted an article on a teen (17) who had Gastric Bypass Article HERE. It is a great story, but just curious to see what age do you think is old enough to go through this?

Note, I have a son who is 14 and obese himself and cannot get the weight off and I am working hard on getting him to change eating habits and add in exercise etc... I never set a good example all these years for him and have guilt - major guilt. He is also now borderline diabetic.

Now I am not saying I am gonna have him get the surgery just wondering everyones thought on age.

Follow My Gastric Bypass Story
This is where I share it all - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

RNY: 01-23-2012 Weight day of Surgery - 286lbs ~ Weight as of 09-13-2013 164lbs

poet_kelly
on 5/18/12 2:35 am - OH
I think it would depend on the teen. 

First, has the teen really tried losing weight with diet and exercise?  At age 14, how much time has he had to try that?  And has he made a real sincere effort?

Does the teen really understand what he would be getting into if he had surgery?  Does he understand the importance of following the post op diet and taking vitamins for the rest of his life?  Is he prepared to do that?  Young adults often go through periods when they don't have much money and don't have health insurance.  How would he pay for blood work and vitamins and all that stuff?  If he goes to college and all the other kids are eating crap, is he prepared to make healthy choices for himself?  Or will he want to eat like the other kids?

And I also think you have to look at the whole family, because teens usually don't do the grocery shopping or prepare the meals in the home.  Is the family willing and able to provide the type of food he should be eating?  Are they willing to stop buying stuff he should not eat?  Are they willing to encourage him to be more active, maybe by limiting TV and computer time and planning family activities that involve moving around more?

Also, is the teen prepared to do the emotional work that goes along with this journey?  Like, going to therapy?  And is the family prepared to support him in the emotional work, as in driving him to therapy and paying for it?

I think it should be decided on a case by case basis.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

slashes
on 5/18/12 2:41 am
Well answered Poet Kelly !!! I could not have said it better.

Follow My Gastric Bypass Story
This is where I share it all - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

RNY: 01-23-2012 Weight day of Surgery - 286lbs ~ Weight as of 09-13-2013 164lbs

Sara O.
on 5/18/12 2:43 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12
I don't think its a good idea. I was first recommended the surgery when i was 18, but didn't think i qualified or was ready for it. I had it this year and im about to turn 22. I don't think teens are mature enough to commit to the lifestyle which we must to be successful. I know deep down at 18 i was way too immature and would have never stuck with it. No teen is ready to make a lifetime commitment. Its like getting married. You have to be ready to commit.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/18/12 2:48 am, edited 5/18/12 2:49 am - Baltimore, MD
I was thinking about this as I look at my youngest and wonder if she'd want to consider WLS. I am not going to say a peep about it though. I think I'd be very proud if she decided to embrace herself and try to live as a healthful, plus-sized woman.

But I digress.

I have two girls so to me it'd be important that they were developmentally ready both physically and emotionally. I personally would sway toward the Sleeve for a younger patient for several reasons.

I don't like the idea of the malabsorption for younger girls. Their hormonal systems and whatnot are just figuring themselves out.

Also, while all surgeries have requisite vitamin regimens, the consequences of non-compliance with a malabsorptive procedure are more severe. I know when I was a teen I was rebellious. I did things simply because I shouldn't and refrained from doing things I should. It's a tough time to saddle someone with that regimen with the kinds of consequences that exist for rebellion.

Emotionally that's tough. Self image is ever changing and young women are still figuring themselves out so I don't know how rapid weight loss would affect a girl that way.
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/18/12 2:48 am
no no and absolutely no..
VSG - absolutely  - and teaching them the healthy diet. But RNY - NEVER.  Too many issues long term.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Erik0409
on 5/18/12 2:57 am - NJ
RNY on 03/15/12
I think it is a bad idea.  Many teens are not finished growing yet and having this kind of surgery does not make sense to me if you are still growing.  Also, teens typically have poor eating habits.  Simple nutrition classes and attending weigh****chers can help them.  They are typically more active in life then adults and can lose weight quicker if adopting proper eating habits.

Of course if the teen is over 400 lbs then proper diet may not be the solution and they may need medical help.

But a guy who is 5 8 or taller and 300 lbs or a girl who is 250 lbs should not rush to surgery.

I weighted a about 4 years before finally doing it to make sure I exhausted the non surgical solutions first.

cajungirl
on 5/18/12 2:58 am
No way would I allow my children to have gastric bypass.  There are too many long-term needs that maturity and commitment will be required.  I have boys, neither would be committed to changes at a young age.

I understand wanting our children to live a younger, better life than many of us did.  I try to teach mine to eat better and it's not always easy for sure.  Yet, consider all the vitamins and minerals, labs, emotional aspects and possible issues that we still face as adults.  In their 20s I'd support them IF I felt they would commit to supplementation and eating changes. 

Trading weight issues for deficiencies not taken care of properly will trade one set of health issues for another.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Strjen
on 5/18/12 3:02 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12
We see on this board how emotionally & physically difficult it is for us as adults to go through this process. I don't think its wise for teens to go through this. Kelly pointed out alot of things that will be an issue along the way. Kids/teens only have one child/teen hood. (if that's a word) Taking away the things that most people enjoy at that age could have a bad effect on them, mentally. I probably would of felt like dying if I couldn't of had junk food, pizza, chips, sweets & whatnot when I was that age. I just don't think its a good idea. But like Kelly said, it really depends on the child/teen & how mature & ready & knowledgeable about this process & what they would have to give up & change for the rest of their life. My daughter who is 12 started cutting back on her bad eating habits & taking smaller portions, due to me having this surgery. She said she never wants to get to that point where she would have to have surgery & I applaud & praise her for it. I talk with her & my son often about trying to make good choices & they both have really made a change since I've started this journey, as well as my husband somewhat. He too has lost some weight by cutting back & taking smaller portions. If I could of done it on my own I wouldn't of had the surgery, but I recommend to anyone that can do it on their own to do so. It is a major life style change & its not easy. Well anyways that's my 2 cents worth.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

Kim H.
on 5/18/12 3:28 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
An interesting aside to this conversation is that the teen pregnancy rate after weight loss surgery is close to double what it is for other teens. Scary thought. Just FYI. Personally, I think intensive therapy would be a more appropriate treatment while children are still growing. After age 21, I would say then surgery might be an option.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 321 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 321 views