BMI and actual weight (extra skin)

Tammy Douglas
on 5/17/12 8:24 pm - Los Angeles, CA
How do you figure your actual BMI if you have at least 15 pounds of extra after lossing 180+ pounds... how much would you sutract to get a better idea of ctual weight and BMI so you don't go under weight.

Laura in Texas
on 5/17/12 8:49 pm, edited 5/17/12 8:57 pm
Skin does not weigh that much. I've lost over 200 pounds. My lbl only removed 5 pounds of skin. You could always get a DEXA body scan to determine your true BMI, but people I know who have had this done said the difference between that BMI and the ones they calculated was negligible.

At your height and weight, your BMI is 24. You would have to get to 103 pounds to be underweight. Add some nuts or some other healthy fats to your diet. 

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

poet_kelly
on 5/17/12 11:30 pm - OH
If you know for certain that you have 15 pounds of extra skin, you would subtract 15 pounds from your current weight.

Most people don't have more than a couple pounds of extra skin, though, even when it looks like a lot.  Skin does not weigh very much.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hedrider
on 5/17/12 11:47 pm - Midlothian, TX
Skin really does not weight that much at all.  It's all the fat still attached to it that does.  I would just count the weight you see in the scale, why bother with trying to figure out how much you have and how much it might weigh?
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

PuffyPixie
on 5/18/12 12:23 am
 Extra skin doesn't weigh as much as you think it does. I've seen where people have had large amounts of skin removed and it only weighed in at 5 lbs. 
RNY April 2009
264/142/150
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!
They only fixed your stomach, not your head!
Dagne Tripplehorn
on 5/18/12 4:13 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 I think when you see TV shows where the surgeon removes "skin" that weighs 20 or 30 pounds, he's actually removed a lot of fat under the skin. On the TLC shows, Dr. Nowzaradan evidently performs surgical fat removal, not just skin removal.
LJ1972
on 5/18/12 4:54 am - FL
I dont' go by BMI. A body builder and a Sumo wrestler of the same height / weight have the same BMI.
I go by body fat% (and mine is now firmly in the "acceptable" range, almost to fitness range!)
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/18/12 8:14 am - OH
Body fat percentage is more accurate than BMI, because it takes muscle mass and extra skin into consideration.  As the others have already said, it is unlikely that you have 15 pounds of SKIN unless it still has fat attached to it.  My panni hung down quite a bit and even the surgeon said he expected it to weigh about 12-15 pounds, but by the time I had the surgery, the fat underneath was almost nonexistent and it was ony 6 pounds.  My batwings we also quite large but the skin was only a pound apiece.

Most people don't have a problem with becoming underweight.  Your body will likely stop losing before then.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 439 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 374 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 104 views
Forum Search Error & 404