Laproscopic ERCP

Amy Smith
on 5/19/12 12:40 am
On Tuesday, I had a laproscopic ERCP to fix my sphincter of oddi dysfunction.  I know many people experience sphincter of oddi dysfinction, but do nothing about it as the "attacks" do not happen often, but mine were happening once or twice a week so something needed to happen.
Anyway, my question is this...has anyone else had this done laproscopically? 
I was prepared for it to be much like my gallbladder surgery, but this has been much worse.  (I think my gallbladder was amazingly easy - out on saturday and back to work on monday).  I have a HUGE amount of swelling in my abdomin and even around to my back.  i am also really stiff and REALLY sore, including having abdominal spasms.  
I would love to hear from someonw who has been here and can give me a timeline to back to normal life.

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

ready_2_live
on 5/20/12 8:35 am - Niceville, FL
 Hi there -- sorry it took me so long to respond but I haven't been on here for a few days. I have not had this done, but I'm told the sphincter of oddi dysfunction diagnonsis is probably going to be in my near future since they've ruled out alot of other things. While I don't have an answer for you, I do have a question for you...if you had RNY gastric bypass then how were they able to do an ERCP on you? It was my understanding that this cannot be done on a RNY patient, that it has to be an MRCP and then it is difficult to do because of our rearranged insides. Would you mind explaining the procedure you went through to me? Thank you!!

Amy Smith
on 5/20/12 10:42 am
You are correct the sphincter of oddi ERCP is usually attempted through a double balloon in the GI lab, but this is frequently unsuccessful as the tube is just not long enough to backtrack up the Y.

The lap ERCP is done through 4 holes, the one of the left side being the biggest (and mind you the most painful).  The RNY surgeon goes thru the remnant stomach and the GI dr. cuts the sphincter of oddi so that it can not spasm.   My understanding is that the hospital stay is usually 1 night and the recovery is much like a LAP gallbladder removal.  The biggest complication is pancreatitis, as I understand.  

For me, my left abdominal muscle just won't relax.  As my RNY surgeon explained, the plastic suregon did a great job and I have some seriously developed b muscles; therefore, he cut thru them and had to tighten even more so that I would not get a hernia.  

I hope things work out for you!

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?