possible to begin dumping at 1.5 years out??

busy_blond
on 5/27/12 9:13 am - Tyler, TX
Hey everyone, havent' been here in quite sometime. Just have a question and I don't know who else to ask. I had RNY in January 2011 so I'm almost 1.5 years out. I've never had a problem eating any food since I was an early post op. Never thrown up, dumped etc... All of a sudden in the last few weeks I've had several episodes that sound like others description of dumping. Nausea, sweating, shaky hands, headache, rapid heartbeat; these episodes are followed by a feeling of extreme sleepiness. The episodes seem to be after consuming sweets. My question is, Is it possible to start dumping so far post op? or is this something else?
Leann

poet_kelly
on 5/27/12 9:21 am - OH
How long after eating sweets?  I'm wondering if it's reactive hypoglycemia, rather than dumping.  Although I guess you could start dumping now, though it would be less common than dumping early out.

Can you check  your blood sugar when it happens?  What makes it go away?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lanagirl
on 5/27/12 9:24 am
It sounds more like Reactive Hypoglycemia. I would google it and see the symptoms.

busy_blond
on 5/27/12 9:38 am - Tyler, TX
I'd say about 20 minutes or so after eating sweets. I had my step-daughter this weekend for her birthday. We had a piece of b-day cake right before I drove her home. During the drive I started to feel shaky and sick, Usually, i have to lay down and the feeling subsides after 45 minutes or an hour. Is sugar the only thing that triggers RH? I've never known anyone with that condition, so I'll ahve to do a little research. Thanks for your replies
Leann

busy_blond
on 5/27/12 10:20 am - Tyler, TX
so I've been doing a little research on reactive hypoglycemia, the symptoms sure seem to fit. I never tried to eat anything to combat the symptoms I was having because I assumed I was dumping due to eating high sugar foods, so it never occurred to me that eating would help solve the problem. I'm going to start keeping track of the episodes, when they occur and what I've eten or not eaten, then I'll talk to my Dr about it at my next appointment. any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Leann

poet_kelly
on 5/27/12 10:28 am - OH
Sugar is probably most likely to trigger RH but anything high in carbs can do it.  Sometimes mine seems to drop for no reason but it's more likely to happen when I eat a lot of carbs and no protein.  A big bowl of popcorn can do it for me.

Regardless of the medical reason for it, if eating sugary things like cake makes you feel very bad, I recommend not eating those things.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

busy_blond
on 5/27/12 10:48 am - Tyler, TX
Thanks Kelly, I've been eating really bad lately, too many carbs and not enough protein. Guess this is my wake up call to get my butt in gear and start eating the way I'm supposed to.
Leann

seattledeb
on 5/27/12 10:53 am
 It's very common and you are at the normal time frame for it to appear. Mine also came along at 18 months.
It really makes you feel bad.
How I treat it is to eat more frequently..small protein meals. I don't eat carbs by themselves.  I eat about every 3-4 hours. I always have emergency food on hand.
There are many posts on this. It can be quite unpleasant.
Deb T.

lillypond...
on 5/27/12 11:08 am
Yea I have RH too- and I also eat every 3-4 hours and I always have emergency food on hand when I go out-- Peanut Butter is a good one also string cheese and protein bars. If I eat more than a bowl of popcorn I get RH, RH is no joke but you can control it by eating right and avoiding some foods;
Diminishing Dawn
on 5/27/12 11:11 am - Windsor, Canada
 Here's my experiences with it

http://diminishingdawnreturns.blogspot.ca/2011/04/reactive-hypoglycemia.html?m=1

Never ever put off dealing with your symptoms.    The last time I had a reaction I put it off to finish one last thing, passed out and had paramedics at my door

Message me anytime if you wish to discuss rh

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views