Depressed!!! Please someone help me.

faatima34
on 5/28/12 1:16 am - MI
I had my surgery July 26, 2011 Im not even 100 lbs down yet. Really nervous so many people say we stop losing weight after our 1 yr. I just feel like a loser!!!! I have a personal trainer.... I think I eat right. Not sure what im doing wrong nor why my weight is stagnet! Can someone please help me.

Starting weight 377lbs
Date of surgery I weighed 365.
Today im 288lbs.
Need to lose 100 more lbs, but 30-50 lost by July 26,2012.

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 5/28/12 2:38 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 You've averaged 12.5 lbs per month. That is not bad. I understand feeling discouraged; in fact, I think I'm pretty much in the same slow boat, and it's disappointing. But your body is probably not through losing weight.

The depressing part is hearing about the superfast weight loss some people experience. They aren't necessarily doing anything better than you and I. They have faster metabolisms, maybe have more active lives, are younger, or their bodies aren't as good at surviving famine as ours. If all we heard about were people who lost eight pounds a month between total stallouts, we'd be pretty pleased with our rate of weight loss. Right?

Keep exercising and eating right. If you can see your dietician, do so. If you haven't had a physical in a while, do so, and let your doctor know you're concerned about possible physiological reasons you aren't losing weight. 

Never surrender, never give up!

hedrider
on 5/28/12 3:14 am - Midlothian, TX
I didn't stop losing weight after one year.  There's no magic switch that turns off once we hit so far from surgery.

You think you eat right?  Do you log?  Do you count?

Keep things real, stay protein forward, observe your rules - there's no reason other than not keeping with the plan why you can't keep losing.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

faatima34
on 5/29/12 1:18 am - MI
Well I say "I think I eat right" because I love fruit. That is the only thing I can see that can be a problem. My Surgeon Stopped my Protein because he thinks im dehydrated. i go see him Friday. He need to do Labs. I havent lost weight in 2 months.
MichelleNC
on 5/28/12 3:46 am
 The .....I think I eat right is screaming at me see your NUT! You shouldn't be thinking your eating right this is just a tool you need to piece together all the pieces of your puzzle. You have a trainer, you had the surgery and yu need to know the proper way to eat after surgery. Your doing a good job losing but you want more so why not reach out. Utilize your NUT and get the scale moving down!!!

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Sara O.
on 5/28/12 3:54 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12
I know I'm nowhere near as far out as you, but I want to remind you that everyone's bodies are different. Some lose fast, some lose gradually. Just keep moving towards your goal weight and don't obsess over a time limit or deadline. Your body will continue to lose as long as it needs to. Its not going to come to a dead hault on the anniversary of your surgery. Just keep in mind to exercise, eat properly, and have a good attitude. I'll be cheering you on.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/28/12 5:52 am, edited 5/29/12 1:43 am - OH
Many people do lose after a year post-op. They lose more slowly at that point, of course, but they do lose. I lost the first 100 pounds by 6 months out, but it took me until 20 months out to get to my goal (185 pound loss). My weight loss slowed significantly at 9 months out (after enduring a 9 week stall). Your body starts to overcome the caloric malabsorption almost from the day of surgery, so by the time you are 9-12 months out, much of that malabsorption is gone. (It usually takes the body about 18 months to adapt as much as it can.)

Be sure you are getting in enough protein, that your portion sizes are still reasonable (as you CAN eat more it is harder to control the portions, and you no longer NEED to eat until full), that you have not let too many carbs creep in, and that you are still not drinking with your meals.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cherokeesage
on 5/28/12 6:09 am
RNY on 02/24/12
As I've said before on this forum, I have many RNY friends going back to 1991.   The ones that needed to lose between 200 to 300 pounds took up to 30 months.  They look great and have maintained for close to 20 yrs.  I love this forum but I don't take everything said to be set in stone.  I've asked friends if they would join OH and post but they haven't yet.  

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 379 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?