way TMI - loose skin

Carrie W.
on 5/29/12 5:12 pm - KY
I have a fairly significant amout of loose skin around my genital area.  As a result I've fought yeast infections for the last 5 months.  I thought I had it licked but I'm back to having problems. 

I need to say that I shower twice a day, everyday.  I also powder all those parts twice a day, everyday. 

I think now it's due to the heat.  I pretty much stay damp in that area all the time.  It's hot at work and I workout - alot. 

Is there anything else I can do?  My doc prescribes Diflucan and I take it when I have to.  All that's documented so hopefully my insurance will agree to a panni removal.  It's as much thigh skin now though.  I doubt my insurance will pay for a lower body lift.  I'm not ready for that anyway.  I've got alot of thigh to lose before then.  And my panni really doesn't hang down, at least not to or past the mons. 
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   
on 5/29/12 6:23 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
Ask your doctor for nystatin powder...we use it here in the hospital with good results for the peri-area yeast. I hope you get the surgery approved...no fun having to fight skin infections.
on 5/29/12 6:36 pm
So what you are doing to treat the yeast infections, may be actually aggrevating the situation. You mentioned that you shower twice a day. Unless there's a significant odor, don't do this. When you shower you are actually washing away some good bacteria also, the bacteria that controls the candida. in addition, if you shower with a harsh soap you are significantly aggrevating the problem. I've gotten Y.I.'s because of showering with deodorant soap in the past. Try some Vagisil Odor shampoo. It's effective and very gentle. 

Do you put powder down there? If so STOP. The powder on the vagina promotes candida (yeast) overgrowth. 

Try thoroughly drying the area. Change panties often - several times a day after a once over with a wash rag and cool water only (this of course is after you've already had your ONE shower for the day) Make sure the area is dry. Wear ONLY 100% cotton underwear. Do not douche under any cir****tances. I found that Y.I. medications that stay in the vagina for along time worked best for me when I used to have them.  Take acidolophus (spelling) as much as it's safe to do so. Meaning, if you can take them 2 to 3 times per day....do it. I believe that the medication that I used to buy over the counter was Femstat. The more days of treatment the better, because the cream stays in the vagina for a long time. Apply right before you get into the bed. 

I used to drink ALOT of malt liquor in the past, and I was plagued with yeast infections for a long long time. I was also plagued with them when I used to work out in the gym. But I followed the above advice (cut out the malt liquor) and I haven't had a yeast problem in like 15 years. 

When dealing with yeast infections, sometimes less is more. I know you will have your skin removed so of course it will get better after that. 

on 5/29/12 9:39 pm
RNY on 06/06/12
If you use powder use denorex powder, or any powder with miconizole in it.
on 5/29/12 9:51 pm - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
I was having major yeast issue due to being on a load of antibiotics. It was terrible! Not only did I have non stop vaginal infections, my whole body was itchy and I had MAJOR atheletes foot. I did a canidus detox for a couple days and started taking a bifidus/asidophilus (probiotic) capsule once a day. My yeast issues have completely cleared up!!!!!
on 5/29/12 10:57 pm - OH
If your panni isn't what's causing the problem, then insurance probably won't pay for the panni removal.  You may be able to get them to pay for the thigh skin removal, though, if that is what's causing the problem.  I would see your doc for it as often as necessary and make sure he or she is not only documenting the problem, but also the fact that the excess skin is causing or at least contributing to the problem, and of course the prescribed treatment and whether or not the treatment works.  I think good documentation is the key to getting insurance to pay for skin removal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.


Monica M.
on 5/29/12 11:00 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
check the powder that you're using. If it has corn starch in it, it could be making your problem worse. Corn starch will feed the yeast, and make it worse.

Since they discovered that talc is actually a bad thing to use (it gets into your lungs in a very bad way) more baby powders have corn starch in them.

try this stuff called "monkey butt", its awesome.
Cicerogirl, The PhD

on 5/29/12 11:15 pm - OH
I used nystatin prescription powder and it helped quite a bit.  100% cotton underwear will also help with all types of rashes whereas nylon will make them worse (and spandex can aggravate the problem horribly).

Also, what you probably need is a mons lift (either in addition to, or instead of, a panniculectomy).  A panniculectomy covers ONLY the removal of the excess apron of skin below the belly button but above the pubic area.  In most cases, to get the panni removal approved it must hang down over the top of the pubic area.  A mons lift, on the other hand, which is generally NOT covered by insurance even when you have pictorial and medical documentation of issues, pulls up the excess skin in the pubic area (and usually involves removing skin -- and the hair, BTW -- from the very top of the pubic area).  If teh problem is truly that the skin that started out over the mons is hanging down too far, even removal of the excess thigh skin won't help.

I had the misfortune of also having a lot of excess skin there (in addition to the panni), and even when I had lost almost all the fat everywhere else, I still had some fat there.  I had to have a separate surgery to do the mons lift after I had the panniculectomy. My PS said it was the largest mons he had ever worked on.    

Good luck, and even though it is embarrassing, be sure to have medical documentation because that is your only HOPE of getting the PS covered by insurance.


10 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

on 5/29/12 11:29 pm - Rochester, NY
silly question, but what is the mons area?

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  


Cicerogirl, The PhD

on 5/29/12 11:35 pm - OH
The area covering the pubic bone (that has the pubic hair).


10 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics