Question regarding 6 month diet

Courtney P.
on 6/1/12 10:29 am - PA
RNY on 10/18/12
Hey all - this is my very first post!

I recently started my journey toward hopefully having the gastric bypass done.  I started my 6 month diet in April.  In the first month, I gained 4lbs.  Since then, I have lost 2 of them.  I have made a lot of changes to habits, am doing what my doctor tells me and exercising a lot more.  I am just nervous...

Since I gained 4lbs in my first month, do you think that they are going to turn me down for it? I am sure that the insurance does not want to see weight gain.  Funny thing is, though, I have no idea how I gained. My weight fluctuates horribly.  I have Highmark PPO Blue. I am working extremely hard to make sure I take those other 2lbs back off, and then some.

Has anybody ever had the same situation, where they fluctuated during their 6 month diet? If so, did you get denied?
Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/1/12 1:37 pm
I think the point of the presurgery insurance diet is that you learn how you will need to eat after surgery, not that you lose a lot of weight.

I lost 4 pounds on my presurgery diet. Underwhelming, to say the least. My insurance didn't even blink.

I think everything's going to be okay for you.
MzKeepinOn
on 6/1/12 3:51 pm
 My insurance requires 6 months also but they do not require any amount of weight loss. I think you will be fine :o)
Selenan101
on 6/1/12 5:19 pm
RNY on 06/06/12
 It all depends on how they word your requirement for the 6 month diet.  I have UHC and they required a 6 month supervised diet.  No mention of loss or gain.  In fact did lose AND gain and I was still approved
 Selenan 

wendydettmer
on 6/1/12 9:10 pm - Rochester, NY
my surgeons office required no gain or you were out of the program. not sure about insurance. they only required loss though for the band.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Courtney P.
on 6/1/12 11:57 pm - PA
RNY on 10/18/12
Thank you all so much for your replies!
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?