My EX Surgeon is an A_ _

horselovenlady
on 6/1/12 4:42 pm
VSG on 04/15/13
Had my lap band out Feb. I am going to a different surgeon now but just received my med records to take to the new surgeon for Revision to RNY. My lap band surgeon stated in the surgery report that I did not adjust my lifestyle to the band and I wanted it out. Yes I wanted it out but that is such bull.  He has always made me feel it was my fault that food would get stuck or I vomited - even when my band was completely empty I had problems.  Anyway now I am afraid Medicare will see that as a negative and not approve RNY.  I just felt like crying like I was a failure once again.

"Make good choices right now. Discipline doesn't always feel good but later on it yields a harvest in our lives if we make right choices." ~ Joyce Meyer ~

LB 7/2008 LB Removed 2/2012  HW:225  LW:165

Sleeve Date 4/15/2013 / HW:240  SW:228  CW:165  GW:140  HT: 5'2"

FleurDeLis
on 6/1/12 5:08 pm
I don't recall anything in the Medicare national coverage manual about one surgery per customer. There is no pre-approval for Medicare. If you meet the criteria, you meet the criteria. Medicare doesn't even know about it until it is done and the hospital and surgeon bill them afterward.

Unless you are really short your current weight could be a problem. Your BMI still has to be over at least 35 depending onother things.

It's kind of par for the course to blame the patient. Somewhere I read something about what really is going on. The way that surgeon explained it would really make you feel better. I'll try to remember where I saw it but this could take weeks. With failure rates for the band being what they are it's a wonder any insurance company will approve them.
ChristineB
on 6/1/12 8:57 pm, edited 6/1/12 9:12 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
Why would Medicare even see the notes from the other doctor? I agree with the OP and Medicare requirements . . .

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 6/1/12 9:46 pm
If your new surgeon is any good he will know of the lack of success rate of the lap band.  My surgeon tries to talk people out of the band.  But he also does revisions for those that insist when it fails (the band not the person).  He/she probably already knows your ex-surgeon is an a$$ but won't say so.  That is why he/she is willing to revise some other surgeon's work.

Also,  Medicare is a national insurance program.  Nationally the failure rate is so high they also are aware of issues surrounding the lap band.  They are also aware if surgeons with a "God complex." 
His note was nothing but a way of washing his hands of an unsuccessful procedure for which he was willing to take money.  I  don't think you have anything to worry about.

Winnie

Scaura
on 6/1/12 10:04 pm - Fort Collins, CO
My surgeon won't even do the band, just RNY and Sleeve for WLS.  Some in the surgical group still do the band, but only two I believe.  I am also not sure why insurance would pay for it.  Seems like if someone insists on it, it should be self-pay at this point in it's history.  Too much data on failure and need for revision.  I am sure it was a viable option several years ago, but just not now for most people.  Plus the hassle of going in for adjustments seems like a pain.

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 6/2/12 2:59 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
My doc is taking out more bands than he is putting in , thank goodness he does RNY at the same time unless there is a problem.
The bands failure rate is well documented YOU are NOT a failure !!! although my doc felt RNY would be better for me than the sleeve because over 7 years I automatically learned how to eat around a restrictive  only procedure and my previous history of weight re-gain.
 I personally believe the band CAN work , but for a very few

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

nfarris79
on 6/2/12 2:59 am - Germantown, MD
 i'm sorry you had to see  that! Hopefully your next surgeon will be a bit more understanding of what a struggle bariatric surgery is for a patient. it can be discouraging to be confronted with people who display little faith in your ability to make this tool work for you, and I'd imagine even harder on a second go-round, but keep the faith that the revision will be worth all the hassel in the end!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

horselovenlady
on 6/2/12 7:31 am
VSG on 04/15/13
I see my new surgeon on the 15th of this month with records in hand but will specifically talk to him about how I did with the band and how I felt the other surgeon always made me feel. Hense the report.

As far as Medicare I am sure my new surgeon will know how to write his report properly for coverage.
Thank you for your understanding

"Make good choices right now. Discipline doesn't always feel good but later on it yields a harvest in our lives if we make right choices." ~ Joyce Meyer ~

LB 7/2008 LB Removed 2/2012  HW:225  LW:165

Sleeve Date 4/15/2013 / HW:240  SW:228  CW:165  GW:140  HT: 5'2"

Jenspunky
on 6/4/12 5:34 am
RNY on 01/16/12
Lapband sucks.

I know so many people who had that and it just didn't help them.  They had so many complications, as well.  It's just crap.

Good luck, hope you are approved for RNY.  I am very happy with my surgery, down a total of 90 lbs since January. :)

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 401 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?