Making myself sick with fear

JennLyric
on 6/7/12 2:02 pm
Hi Everyone:

I'm scheduled for RNY surgery on 6/29/12.  I'm petrified.  I'm having a Lapband revised to RNY.  All of the "what ifs" are running through my head 24/7.  I know all of the risks and benefits.  The logical part of me is still intact, but the fear is HUGE.  I'm going to the support group meeting next week, but I need to be reassured.  I'm terrified of dumping (I have Fibromyalgia and live in pain as it is).  I'm terrified of complications.  I've had surgeries before, so I know the drill.  This is MUCH different.  

I really need reassurance.  I don't doubt my decision, just trying to work through the fear.  Therapy is great (I have a great therapist), but there's nothing like fellow patients to help each other through.

Thank you all very, very much.

Jennifer 
karlbf
on 6/7/12 2:16 pm - stoke on trent, United Kingdom

Jennifer

I think everyone has concerns but please ask question here and with your surport team and you will get through it.  Poeple here I find it to put into words how much I have had from here even though I don't write much

You will be fine and remember you are NOT alone

Amber H.
on 6/7/12 2:20 pm - UT
RNY on 06/01/12
Hi Jennifer, 

I was also petrified, and I've been through bone and reconstructive surgeries before. I was scared of getting my IV put in, of going into the OR, and even lying on the OR table. It is very, very normal to be scared of surgery, especially one that is so life changing. Even after my 13+ surgeries, I am still not used to it. 

But, I can tell you, it is not nearly as bad I had made it in my head. I was up walking within a few hours of surgery with very little pain. I didn't hit the pain button much. I felt so good for the first time in over a decade...my diabetes was gone, and I just felt good. 

As for dumping, not everybody does that. But, also, if you stick to your diet the surgeon gives you, you should be just fine. You'll learn in time what you can tolerate. 

I'm very proud of you for making this decision. It is monumental, and it is one that will make your quality of life so much better. Even after being scared, and all the changes - I would do this again in a heartbeat. 

RNY: June 1, 2012  HW: 450 GW: 200

JennLyric
on 6/7/12 2:23 pm
 Wow you guys, thank you!!!  You're already helping me to calm down.  Two replies already and I feel so much less alone.

Thank you.
spw7826
on 6/7/12 2:29 pm - FL
I was scared, but more of surgery in general than the type of surgery.  I was nervous about what would happen after the surgery, but not scared.  From the moment I fully awoke after surgery, I had absolutely no fear at all and I felt great.  I was actually surprised at how little pain there was.  I have not had any problems with dumping - but I'm not a huge fan of sweets or carbs to start with.  I know it's different for everyone, but fortunately, I seem to be a poster-child case for the surgery.  Hopefully, you will be too.  All I can suggest is get up and walk as soon as possible and then walk as much as possible.  That was a recommendation I received from several sources, and I walked every two hours I was in the hospital (except during the night).  I don't know if the walking helped me react and recover so well, but it sure didn't hurt.  Good luck with your surgery and I wish you the best.

Stan

JennLyric
on 6/7/12 2:36 pm
 Hi Timothy:  That's fantastic!!  I'm with you on the walking thing.  Every surgery I've had I'm up and walking very quickly and a LOT.  I roam the hallways at night :)

May I ask what kinds of things you eat when you're "on the go?"  I kind of want to be ready for that too.  That horrible moment when I don't have my food with me and, obviously, avoid eating crap.  I'm very determined, so this is helpful and I'm very glad you're doing well.

Jennifer
spw7826
on 6/7/12 2:46 pm - FL
It's actually Stan.  Timothy Christopher was my surgeon.  If you have a few minutes, click on my profile and read what I wrote on My Journey.  It was very cathartic for me to write it, and it may help relieve some of your fears.  It also addresses some of your food questions.  I still have a very simple diet - which is weird, because I previously got bored eating the same thing day after day.  My normal routine is:

a breakfast shake (8 oz. milk, scoop of protein powder and carnation no sugar added instant breakfast powder)

snack 1:  either some almonds, or fruit, or greek yogurt

lunch:  tuna fish, grilled chicken, turkey patty or soup

snack 2:  almonds, protein shake (I buy them at Sam's Club - 11 ounces and 30 grams of protein - and they're tasty), or some cottage cheese with a no sugar added fruit cup

dinner:  pretty much the same as lunch.  I grilled some salmon one night and that was good.  I also fix scallops a lot - they're high in protein.

Within the past couple of weeks, I have started adding one or two sugar free fruit popsicles or some juice (cranberry or apple) at night.

I think you will have a very different relationship with food after the surgery and you'll be surprised at your attitude - there's more about that in my journey story.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.  Thanks,

Stan

JennLyric
on 6/7/12 2:49 pm
 Thank you Stan.  Very helpful.  I'm deathly allergic to fish, so that's out.  But that's ok.  I'll be fine with chicken, turkey, shellfish (my allergy is opposite of most people's), etc.  

I'll visit your page!

I better change my surgeon's name.  He's not the one doing it.  Glad you told me.

Jennifer
spw7826
on 6/7/12 3:46 pm - FL
I forgot about the first 2 week after surgery - I didn't really go to purees and soft foods until 2 weeks out.  For the first couple of weeks, all I consumed was protein shakes and high protein pudding.  GNC sells a high protein pudding that's pretty good.  The cans were 8 ounces (which was enough for 2 meals), and you could buy a case of them (I think 8 cans) for not too much.  I also recommend the Special K protein water mix packets that you add to water for an extra 5 grams of protein.  You can pick those up at Wal-Mart - they've over by the other protein drinks in the Health and Beauty section.  A box of 10 packs runs about $5.50.  I highly recommend the strawberry-kiwi flavor.

If you do the homemade breakfast shake in the morning, 4 ounces of the pudding for lunch and dinner, or one of those 30 gram protein shakes I mentioned, along with a couple of packets of the special K powder mix with your water - you're going to get plenty of protein for the day and be under 500 calories.  Be prepared to take about 30 minutes to an hour to eat half a can of pudding or drink one of those shakes though.  Ironically, for the first couple of weeks, your life will be consumed with eating and drinking.  It takes a long time to do the former while you pretty much have to do the latter all day long to get enough water in.  Take care and I'm sure all will go well.

Stan

poet_kelly
on 6/7/12 4:57 pm - OH
Does it help to know that only about 30% of people dump?  And if you watch the amount of sugar you eat at one time, you can usually prevent dumping even if you are a dumper.  I've dumped a couple of times, when I made the mistake of eating something that had more sugar than I realized it had.  Dumping is miserable, but it does pass.  I try to avoid it but I don't live in fear of it, either.

I was just reading about the statistics regarding common complications after RNY earlier today.  Check this out: www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/gastric-bypass/gast ric-bypass-complications.html  Apparently about one in 10 patients have some sort of minor complication (I don't know what they are defining as minor, though - maybe something like a stricture that is easily fixed?) while about one in 20 has a more serious problem.

And does it help to know that, from spending a LOT of time on this board in the last couple of years, I've only seen a couple people post that they regret having the surgery at al due to complications?  Most people, even those that had pretty serious problems, end up saying they are still glad they had surgery and it was worth it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics