5 1/2 yrs out Osteopenia

SassySteph
on 6/13/12 10:24 pm - Lusby, MD
Results from my Dexa Scan shows I have some bone loss, it upsets me because I have always been very faithful with with taking my calcium and D3.  They are putting me on Fosamax which I am leary about, can we take this?

poet_kelly
on 6/13/12 10:26 pm - OH
I don't know anything about Fosamax.  We can take most meds, though, other than NSAIDS and extended release drugs.

What's your vitamin D level currently?  Even if you've been faithfully taking your calcium and D3, you may not have been taking enough D3.  You need a vitamin D level of at least 80 in order to reduce your risk of bone loss.

I'm glad you had a Dexa scan though and caught the problem now.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Barbara C.
on 6/13/12 11:29 pm - Raleigh, NC

Steph,

We are in about the same place in our respective journeys and I too have an issue with bone loss. The good news is that you are being proactive with your care by taking your prescribed supplements and getting your labs so that you can know of any issues as they arise and before they become severe. Remember that osteopenia can be reversed and is the first sign of osteoporosis. Medications such as Fosamax can be used to help rebuild bone density, but there are other things that can be done as well such as increased load bearing exercise and ensuring that you are taking enough calcium coupled with 'dry' D3. In my case, significant increases in dry D3 have helped some. Remember that D3 is not as bioavailable if it is used in a suspension capsule, so you will do better taking 'Dry' D3'; even if your MD has prescribed Dry D3 and you are getting it from a local pharmacy, they don't dispense the dry version. You can get the dry version from bariatric sources such as Vitalady.com. I would suggest that you have your  Dr confer with your Bariatric surgeon as you work to resolve this issue.

Wishing you all the best as you continue your journey,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 6/14/12 1:43 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read about the bone "strengthening" meds, IMHO they are very dangerous. I also have osteopenia and upped D and things have turned around in a year, and the older we get our bones naturally  get weaker , depending on body type.
My PCP was shocked that my old "doc" wanted to put me on meds automatically , he even said the side effects are awful.
Please research before taking anything , especially something that is made to stay in your system a month or a year.......Just my 2 cents

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Eliza55
on 6/14/12 6:53 am - PA
I was diagnosed with osteopenia within a month of having surgery, and my Dexascan doc recommended Foxamax as well.    Because of some ongoing abdominal pain I'm having, I am delaying starting anything for a year (Fosamax can irritate your esophagus).  In the meantime, I'm keeping my Vit D3 high, taking all my calcium citrate and magnesium, and doing strength training 3 times per week.

When it comes time to see my Dexa Scan doc, I would like to talk about all the different options for maintaining bone mass, and then make my decision.

Low bone density is an emotional concern for me, as my mom recently died from complications of osteoperosis-related fractures.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics