Marginal Ulcer

Toobcherished
on 6/16/12 12:17 am - Henrico, VA
I posted a while ago about some pains that I was having that I would qualify as "attacks"  It was burning, shortness of breath and pain that radiated up to the point I thought I was having a heart attach.  Went to my Surgeon and he suspected it was an ulcer.

I had a EDG done yesterday and sure enough was diagnosed with a 8mm superficial ulceration at the anastomosis with no bleeding.  I was sent home with protonix prescription which I will fill soon.  

Anyone have advice?

I have not taken ANY NSAIDS the only thing I can link of is my primary care prescribed me liquid ferrus sulfate (I took it for like 3 days before I realized it was not the kind we are supposed to take) I am severely anemic, but I must admit I was experiencing the stomach bloating way before I took that.  It may have aggrivated the problem.

Either way all of my vitamins burn going down, and LORD don't let me take vitamin C.  That causes immediate burning

Any advice on what I am looking at and is an 8mm ulcer considered big or small?

After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.
1 Peter 5:10

lanagirl
on 6/16/12 1:50 am
I don't know about how big or small that is, but if you are having pain, ask your DR for carafate sp?.  it helps coat your tummy.

scho5
on 6/16/12 2:28 am - WI
 Get some Carafate from your Dr. as well.  It is a great coating and helps with the burning.  The Protonix will also help eventually.  

After a year from surgery  and an EDG I was diagnosed with 2 ulcers.  I forgot how big.   I also did not understand why because I never took nsaids either.  It has been 6 months since the diagnoses.  No more burning.  I would stick with real basic plain foods for awhile.  My advice is not to worry about it.  Nothing we can do but try to help them heal.  My Dr. says they just occur in some people post surgery.  They have affected us so much because our stomach is now so small.  

If pain continues after a few weeks of meds, i would let the dr. know.

Take Care!  All will be well.  
Amber Isbell
on 6/16/12 4:34 am - Devine, TX

8mm is not a full cm.  So, it seems pretty small. We give our 3rd graders a point of reference and say that the width of your pinky finger is about 1 cm.  I know they can wreak havoc on our insides but your meds. will work.

HW:280, Lap Band 2005-225lbs-LW, Revision to RNY 06/05/12 -245lbs

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 417 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 364 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 61 views