payments

vogel_girl
on 6/26/12 5:34 am
did everyone have to pay for their surgery before they had it? A friend and I are scheduling our surgeries but they required us to pay prior to having it $1700 becuase thats what our insurance out of pocket is but she is having a hard time coming up with money.. Does anyone have any suggestions?
(deactivated member)
on 6/26/12 5:43 am - WA
I have to do the same issue and I am having to wait and save money.
macjuicy
on 6/26/12 5:50 am - FL
I had to pay mine in full before surgery, I had to make diffrent money orders for the diffrent depts of hospital and then doc himself

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

LisaBinNC
on 6/26/12 5:50 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 06/28/12
I have to as well $2,629. Needless to say I was floored at my Pre Op last Thursday when they dropped that bombshell on me (my surgeon, nor my insurance told me that I'd have to have it up front). When I called the Hospital financial company about getting on a payment plan they said that since it's considered "elective" (even with sleep apnea, back & joint problems, high blood pressure, GERD), they will not do payment plans.

I'm borrowing money from my 401K to cover the cost.  Good luck! :-)
Lisa

poet_kelly
on 6/26/12 5:58 am - OH
I didn't have to pay up front, no.  I  had to pay my copay at each pre op appt with the surgeon but I was billed by both the surgeon and the hospital for the portion not covered by my insurance.  I can see why many docs want to be paid upfront, though.

If your friend is having a hard time coming up with the money now, wouldn't she also have a hard time coming up with it a few weeks after surgery when the bill came, if your surgeon did it that way?  And that's why he wants paid up front.  He doesn't want to do the work and then learn that a patient is having trouble coming up with the money to pay him.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kathyshrinks
on 6/26/12 6:12 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
My insurance covered all but about $3K. I didn't have to pay it up-front though.  I got a bill, and a pretty quick turnaround from my health savings account, so at least it was tax-free money.  But it was a big amount to come up with all at once.

hedrider
on 6/26/12 6:15 am - Midlothian, TX
 No, I was billed after insurance.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

fireflymkz76
on 6/26/12 6:27 am - Blairsville, GA
RNY on 07/24/12
I have medicare and they only cover so much.  I have to pay about $2500 out of pocket.  Most of it is required up front.  When I go in for pre op I have to pay the anethesiologist and something else.
check out my blog: http://alwaysl8totheparty.blogspot.com/      
(deactivated member)
on 6/26/12 6:43 am - WA
I am also on Medicare and Here is something interesting. I spoke to the co ordinator at the surgeons. I told her I would have to wait for the surgery until I saved the money $5000. Because I would have to pay my copays upfront right. She tells me that Medicare will not allow them to bill up front. That they have to submit the bill to Medicare for payment and only after Medicare pays thier portion are they allowed to bill the patient. That is why we are asked to sign a promisary note.  Have you heard this? With a Medicaid spenddown I wouldn't have to save as much but  that doctor doesn't take medicaid. Thats why I am preparing for having to pay it upfront no matter what they say. But have you heard of the cannot bill Medicare patients ahead of the surgery? I get co pays and hospital deductables  but I am talking about the surgeons fee and the anethesiologist.
(deactivated member)
on 6/26/12 6:32 am, edited 6/26/12 6:32 am - WA
I should add that I am saving now for the upfront fee's for revision (I learned my lesson). With my original I was like the other poster in that I was not told of the surgeons fee as well as an anestesioligist co pay until the end of my pre op appt. Then on the day of surgery I was freaking in my gown and laying on the gurney when the hospital financial came in to "collect" my hospital co-pay "prior to surgery". Ir worked it out in the end but I was like seriously, got up an started getting dressed to leave and crying.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics